FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
I got this little one from PP (via Amazon), and I'm very happy with it. It's pretty, it's healthy, and it came packed in high-quality LFSM instead of packing peanuts. My one complaint is they sold this as "a Nepenthes hybrid of our choice", and the label that came with it only says "Nepenthes hybrid". I would have liked some clarification.
Therefore, I am here for clarification.

Its leaves are red-tinted and slightly fuzzy, and it's about 3" wide. I think it might be too young to get an ID off pitcher shape, but the coloration is fairly distinctive.

Top view:
http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/crazy ... g.html?o=0

Pitcher (slightly dented where my finger is):
http://s1055.photobucket.com/user/crazy ... g.html?o=1

I took a look at their website, and I'm almost certain it's one of these http://www.predatoryplants.com/Nepenthe ... ep-txg.htm , but I'd like confirmation from someone with more experience IDing Neps. I'd also like to know if there's anything in particular I should know about the care of whatever variety it is.
By Smooter80
You may be right with the hairy leaves. Why don't you ask PP? If I just saw the pitcher, I would of said aristolochioides x ventricosa.
Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (725.63 KiB) Viewed 2913 times
By Fishkeeper
I genuinely didn't realize contacting them was an option, I didn't see the link at the bottom of their website. I have now sent them an email with my photos, a polite request for an ID confirmation, and a suggestion that plants shipped through the Amazon link be accompanied by ID labels.

The plant in that photo does have pitchers that look like mine, but the leaves are too smooth and pale. It's nice, though, cool pic of a great plant.
By Fishkeeper
Got a reply back. Posting the gist of it here if anyone is interested.
The concept of the listing is to allow people who don't particularly care about the exact parentage of their plants to purchase good-sized specimens at a lower price-point than they would otherwise be able to. This in-turn allows us to either sell unlabeled valuable plants that we would rather not de-value or to sell plants whose parentage we are uncertain of ourselves.

All of the plants that we send are intermediate to highland-intermediate since those tend to have the widest growing tolerance. At the very least we will amend the listing to clarify that point.

Your guess about the plant you received is probably correct. However, the general rule is that if there is any doubt at all, the plant can only safely be identified as "Nepenthes hybrid."
I'm going to leave the plant un-labeled, and it seems to be happy where it is next to my N. Sanguinea. Hoping it gets nice and big.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!