FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Frothy_Milk
I was planning on growing highland Nepenthes in a greenhouse, and was looking for cheap lights. I was recommended 40 watt bulbs and found this. I don't know a lot of the requirements for artificial lighting but I found this online. Would this meet the needs of a Nepenthes? My area is fine for Nepenthes but my house has no good windowsills and has no good areas that get only a few hours of sun.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Light ... /203081577

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Frothy_Milk
erikHIplants wrote:I have the 4ft t8 version of those lights, they work well for $20 a piece (bulbs not included)
Would you be able to put a link to where you got them or tell me the store you got the lights from?

By Wikiwakawakawee
I have 2 of these light fixtures over my nepenthes in my indoor greenhouse and they seem to do the job. I just popped a 6500k bulb and a 3000k bulb in there.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Light ... /202052422
By Frothy_Milk
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:I have 2 of these light fixtures over my nepenthes in my indoor greenhouse and they seem to do the job. I just popped a 6500k bulb and a 3000k bulb in there.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Light ... /202052422
I was actually looking at these I might get them if I follow through with the greenhouse idea.

By Wikiwakawakawee
I should really move them closer to the plants haha, but they still seem to grow nicely. You can see they're strong enough to give my ampullaria some color.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
By Frothy_Milk
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:I should really move them closer to the plants haha, but they still seem to grow nicely. You can see they're strong enough to give my ampullaria some color.ImageImage

Are the lights good for highland species? I am just a bit confused if the light would be fine for plants that like cooler temps than a lowland, because you used your ampullaria as an example. And would live LFS be fine and grow well under these lights?

By Wikiwakawakawee
It should be fine, you'll be responsible for maintaining low temps and temperature drops at night. I don't have to do anything special because my greenhouse is in Arizona so it's already kinda hot in there, I just popped in the lights. I have my tubs full of live sphagnum right now under these grow lights.

By Frothy_Milk
Salute flytraps234 wrote:He is just showing you an example with his nepenthes, and with moss it would just bring out there colors.

Oh, alright.

By Wikiwakawakawee
Here's a more recent picture where you can see the live sphagnum covering the floor.Image

By Frothy_Milk
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:Here's a more recent picture where you can see the live sphagnum covering the floor.Image

Wow, that's some nice growth! How far away is the light from the plants?

By Wikiwakawakawee
Ehhhhh about a foot I think...like I said, I'm sure they're supposed to be closer to the plants, but I have no way to put them any closer...it works for me though!

By Frothy_Milk
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:Ehhhhh about a foot I think...like I said, I'm sure they're supposed to be closer to the plants, but I have no way to put them any closer...it works for me though!

Alright, thanks so much for the help. Good growing!

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!