FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Frothy_Milk
I think if you've had experience with both sarracenia and dionaea, it won't be an issue! As long as you plant them in peat and perlite, or even just peat, give them lots of sun, and have them sitting in a tray of distilled water, rain water, or reverse osmosis water, everything is smooth sailing! Make sure the pot they are planted in has holes at the bottom. I would also recommend putting a bit of long fibered sphagnum moss at the bottom of the pot so the soil doesn't fall out, and there is more moisture being held. And don't forget that cp's can die from any fertilizer so watch out for stuff by miracle grow. Also,I love Judith Hindle. The prettiest looking sarracenia to me. And what website is that from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Raistlarn
Depending on where you live they could be the easiest carnivorous plants to grow, or they could be a little trickier to grow. If you live in zone 8 or 9 you could grow it outside all year. Otherwise you will have to do extra stuff for their winter dormancy.
By Frothy_Milk
alanmota2004 wrote:And thank you for the help

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
No problem! That's what the forum is here for.

By Frothy_Milk
alanmota2004 wrote:Yes i do but cant i put them in the fridge

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
Fridge dormancy would be a bit difficult for beginners in my opinion.

By slinx
Raistlarn wrote:You will have to bring them inside for the winter. Do you have a garage, because you can put them there for the winter.
The Sarracenia purpurea should do just fine outside year round, it's their native zone. The other plants probably wouldn't mind that much either as long as they are protected from deep frost by covering them with some mulch (or snow), and even then there are people who manage to grow them in zone 5 without covering anything. If they survive, great! If they don't, you can always try again!
By Raistlarn
slinx wrote:
Raistlarn wrote:You will have to bring them inside for the winter. Do you have a garage, because you can put them there for the winter.
The Sarracenia purpurea should do just fine outside year round, it's their native zone. The other plants probably wouldn't mind that much either as long as they are protected from deep frost by covering them with some mulch (or snow), and even then there are people who manage to grow them in zone 5 without covering anything. If they survive, great! If they don't, you can always try again!
Yes it's their native habitat, but they don't grow in pots in the wild. So they might do well if left outside, but I wouldn't take the chance. Especially if you don't want to purchase more plants.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!