FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Frothy_Milk
So my sarracenia Judith Hindle has this one pitcher that it has been trying to grow, and it hasn't been making any progress whatsoever. I also recently noticed some blotches as if aphids were chewing at it, but I doubt aphids are chewing on a single tiny pitcher. It is planted in peat and perlite sitting in a water tray with two inches of reverse osmosis water, and it gets sun for most of the day. This pitcher was put out a week or two ago, and has stayed the same size. Two new pitchers even fully outgrew it. Now that I think about it, it looks like the lid is growing backwards. Would anyone be able to tell me what is happening with this pitcher?

Here are some pictures of the pitcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Frothy_Milk
tannerm wrote:Looks like bug bites to me! And they ALWAYS go after the fresh growth, as it's the easiest and most tasty for them. Also, watch this on how to plant moss: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BOKvaoWAsFE

Alright thanks I'll be on the lookout for bugs eating it. I also have watched a video by him where he does a top dressing only of sphagnum moss, would the method of planting it be better than just covering the top layer with heads?

By tannerm
Frothy_Milk wrote:
tannerm wrote:Looks like bug bites to me! And they ALWAYS go after the fresh growth, as it's the easiest and most tasty for them. Also, watch this on how to plant moss: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BOKvaoWAsFE

Alright thanks I'll be on the lookout for bugs eating it. I also have watched a video by him where he does a top dressing only of sphagnum moss, would the method of planting it be better than just covering the top layer with heads?

I know I've said this before, but get some neem. It works wonders for killing ANY pest without harming your plants.

As for the moss, most definitely - I can already see the tips browning. Ideally you never want to let them dry out too much. They grow vertically, just like plants and when you plant them into the soil vertically, it allows the water to travel up the "stems" and keeps them better hydrated. Make sure you're misting regularly if it's outside and also that it's out of the highest UV Index hours of sun for the day.

By Frothy_Milk
tannerm wrote:
Frothy_Milk wrote:

I know I've said this before, but get some neem. It works wonders for killing ANY pest without harming your plants.

As for the moss, most definitely - I can already see the tips browning. Ideally you never want to let them dry out too much. They grow vertically, just like plants and when you plant them into the soil vertically, it allows the water to travel up the "stems" and keeps them better hydrated. Make sure you're misting regularly if it's outside and also that it's out of the highest UV Index hours of sun for the day.

I'm probably just going to remove the moss for now and let my sphagnum cultures get some good growth. Then when I repot everything next year early spring I'll put the whole stem of sphagnum in the pot.

Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!