FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By tannerm
Bladderworts are the only kind of CP I have yet to experience. Does anyone have any suggestions (for the terrestrial variety)? Including cool pot ideas to grow them in, species, etc? At first I wasn't interested because they don't have visible traps, but their beautiful flowers changed my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
For no-stress, no-worry Utrics, you don't have to do anything at all. Acquire a plant by purchase or trade and soon you'll have Utricularia subulata (Yellow flower) or Utricularia bisquamata (White/Yellow/Purple flower) show up as hitchhikers. California Carnivores is a particularly frequent source of free Utrics.

These grow as weeds, don't need any special care and as long as your host plant is happy, these freeloaders are happy.

Good growing,
Mike
By tannerm
Shadowtski wrote:For no-stress, no-worry Utrics, you don't have to do anything at all. Acquire a plant by purchase or trade and soon you'll have Utricularia subulata (Yellow flower) or Utricularia bisquamata (White/Yellow/Purple flower) show up as hitchhikers. California Carnivores is a particularly frequent source of free Utrics.

These grow as weeds, don't need any special care and as long as your host plant is happy, these freeloaders are happy.

Good growing,
Mike
I've been trying for a while, I've purchased quite a few plants and have yet to get any hitchhikers - maybe I'm unlucky :p

By Fishman
The above posters mention some great starter Utrics. They make great experimental potting soil. This is 100% Utric that im growing a capensis and binata mix in just for the heck of it.
Attachments:
48630.jpeg
48630.jpeg (372.86 KiB) Viewed 5042 times
Fishman liked this
By tannerm
Fishman wrote:The above posters mention some great starter Utrics. They make great experimental potting soil. This is 100% Utric that im growing a capensis and binata mix in just for the heck of it.
Oh wow, that's really awesome!!!! So no LFS or anything else in there?

By tannerm
nimbulan wrote:U. sandersonii is always a good choice.
Just looked them up! They're awesome! Now I have to find some :)

By Fishman
I probably have some I can send you if you cannot find a decent sized portion. I might could come up with a 1" plug. Some of mine are still filling their pot. Let me know if you cant find any and we can work it out thru pm.
By Benurmanii
I'm selling small plugs of U. blanchetii white flower for $5 at the moment. Easy plant for me, peat sand mix, sit in water 24/7 temps 60s to 70s days with temp drop at night. Has that irritating liverwort that comes with practically every plant you can buy from Europe, but blanchetii doesn't seem to have any trouble growing right through it.
Attachments:
20170315_120956.jpg
20170315_120956.jpg (623.73 KiB) Viewed 5006 times
20170509_172306.jpg
20170509_172306.jpg (905.15 KiB) Viewed 5006 times
By Fishman
I tell you what, those are pretty Ben. Give Tanner first dibs on those. If he or anyone else don't want them, ill adopt them!
By Fishkeeper
I have U. Sandersonii, and its care is basically "keep constantly wet, place in reasonably bright light". A lot of bladderworts like to be really wet and can be kept in containers with no drainage. I have some in a teacup and some in a wine glass, and lemme tell ya, tiny bladderwort flowers coming from a matching teacup is a really pretty picture.
By tannerm
Fishkeeper wrote:I have U. Sandersonii, and its care is basically "keep constantly wet, place in reasonably bright light". A lot of bladderworts like to be really wet and can be kept in containers with no drainage. I have some in a teacup and some in a wine glass, and lemme tell ya, tiny bladderwort flowers coming from a matching teacup is a really pretty picture.
That's super awesome! Do you have them in any media? Also, picture please? :)

By tannerm
Benurmanii wrote:I'm selling small plugs of U. blanchetii white flower for $5 at the moment. Easy plant for me, peat sand mix, sit in water 24/7 temps 60s to 70s days with temp drop at night. Has that irritating liverwort that comes with practically every plant you can buy from Europe, but blanchetii doesn't seem to have any trouble growing right through it.
That's awesome, I'd definitely be interested!

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!