FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Sakaaaaa
I don't have a TDS meter, maybe I'll buy one soon, there's a lot of Hydroponic stores around here
By tommyr
new2vfts wrote:Hello! Does anyone know the TDS for NYC tap water? Is it low enough for use in a bog container with flytrap, american pitchers, sundews, bladderwort and butterwort or stick with buying distilled?
Believe it or not NYC has some of the healthiest water in the country HOWEVER get a TDS meter (they are cheap, $15 or less) and test YOUR own tap water. Back in 2011 someone in Queens got a reading of 45ppm. That could change a bit by now. Best to get a meter. Amazon is where I got mine.
By Dave F H
As a industrial chemist , most tap or well water will have dissolved solids in it
even though I am starting out here and new to growing flytraps I might suggest anyone who is having issues with their water go and buy from any supermarket distilled water for around 2 bucks for a 4 l jug
By boarderlib
Dave F H wrote:As a industrial chemist , most tap or well water will have dissolved solids in it
even though I am starting out here and new to growing flytraps I might suggest anyone who is having issues with their water go and buy from any supermarket distilled water for around 2 bucks for a 4 l jug
That's a fine recommendation for people with smaller collections. Some people here would end up having to sell their house if they had to buy distilled water for their collections, just to be able to afford that much water.

A better suggestion which has been mentioned in this thread repeatedly is to buy a TDS meter and test your water. If it's under 50 its safe, then you have an abundant water supply. If it's not collect rain water, get a RO system, and start buying distilled.

CP's can tolerate some dissolved solids, just not in excess.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
boarderlib liked this
By Dave F H
The R O( reverse Osmosis) system is excellent for getting Di water for larger collections , Please be careful however when using the Charcoal filters in R O systems because once they are spent they will release the minerals back into the water.
This I found out when testing water quality for industrial boilers , I was testing to very low levels ( ppb) Parts per billion
By boarderlib
amriko wrote:In Nanaimo, BC, CA we have one of the lowest tap water ppm in the world. According to the water supplier we have
11 ppm straight out the tap, fear me mortals
It should be noted that is probably tested at the facility, not at your house. Pipes get old, they leak, they allow contaminants in. Test at your faucet, don't assume because they say that's what it is, that's what it is at your house. I'll bet your water isn't that low.

boarderlib liked this
By Matt
Dave F H wrote:Please be careful however when using the Charcoal filters in R O systems because once they are spent they will release the minerals back into the water.
This is very true! Keep your filters fresh in an RO unit!
boarderlib wrote:It should be noted that is probably tested at the facility, not at your house. Pipes get old, they leak, they allow contaminants in. Test at your faucet, don't assume
Also true.
By xr280xr
boarderlib wrote: A better suggestion which has been mentioned in this thread repeatedly is to buy a TDS meter and test your water. If it's under 50 its safe
Meaning your flytrap can be exposed to it without burning. But if you're anywhere near the 50 ppm mark, I would only top water and allow the water to flow through the media. Otherwise it will accumulate in your media pretty quickly. My rain water comes out around 12 ppm. I will use it to tray water, but then I flush the media with pure distilled water every few months.
By boarderlib
xr280xr wrote: Meaning your flytrap can be exposed to it without burning. But if you're anywhere near the 50 ppm mark, I would only top water and allow the water to flow through the media. Otherwise it will accumulate in your media pretty quickly. My rain water comes out around 12 ppm. I will use it to tray water, but then I flush the media with pure distilled water every few months.
Very true. I highly recommend flushing pots periodically no matter what your water source is. I use distilled, and rain water with my plants. Whenever we have a heavy rain coming I take my plants out of the trays and get a thorough flushing. I'll even take a lot of my indoor plants outside. I also use that time to clean my trays out, empty, wash and refill with clean water.

Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!