FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By bunkyz52
I apologize for being a newbie and starting out with a question but I'm not sure the right move to make first. I was just given an old glass 29 gallon aquarium which is loaded with what looks like calcium and hard water stains. I've done some research and found numerous cleaning tactics including vinegar, baking soda, and a product called "Barkeeper's Friend". Also using a razor blade scraper first to remove the bulk of the stains. Any suggestions or comments pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I would like very much to save this tank if possible. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. :D
By Raistlarn
Make a mix of vinegar and water and just let it sit in the tank for a few days, which should eat the stains. Then empty and rinse with water and keep rinsing. Then finally let it sit for a couple weeks to make sure that the tank has no vinegar vapor in it, because vinegar is a herbicide. Afterwards you should be able to use it for plants.

Or if you don't want to wait awhile you can just scrape the whole tank by hand, which will take a few to several hours depending on how much calcium buildup you have.
By KategoricalKarnivore
I use the barkeepers friend on my glass shower door and it works great on hard water/soap scum/calcium.
By tannerm
Boil some citric acid in distilled water.... let it cool and pour it in, I promise it'll eat any hard water stains :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By bunkyz52
Good morning to all. I sincerely appreciate such a quick response. I'm gonna try your suggestions starting with the least damaging process. I did try the vinegar on a small area and it removed some but I think using the soak method will reduce the amount of scrubbing necessary. Soak, scrape if needed then disinfectant sounds like a cure. Thanks again for your help, I'll let you know how it turns out. Have a good one :D

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!