FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By aarolar
We have some built-in shelves in our living room and I had the idea to use it to display some plants both carnivorous and other. I ordered this light off the net and this is what I have going so far. Will it work? If in can make it work well I can add timers and fans to improve or if I have a silly idea tell me. Ideally I would like to do at least one on each side maybe more if I end up with enough plants.

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
By Hungry Plants
Depending on what you want to put in there the light might be too far away. Definitely too far for VFT and sundews .
By aarolar
Hungry Plants wrote:Depending on what you want to put in there the light might be too far away. Definitely too far for VFT and sundews .
How close would the sundews need to be I want to do some landscaping in there so I could use rocks or something to raise them up. I would eventually like to use this area to display a cephalotus.
By boarderlib
aarolar wrote: How close would the sundews need to be I want to do some landscaping in there so I could use rocks or something to raise them up. I would eventually like to use this area to display a cephalotus.
This is determined by what kind of lighting that is. Example T8 as close as you can possibly get it. T5 HO roughly 4-10 inches, your reflector setup will make a difference in the distance. High quality LED's 12-18 inches.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By aarolar
boarderlib wrote:
aarolar wrote: How close would the sundews need to be I want to do some landscaping in there so I could use rocks or something to raise them up. I would eventually like to use this area to display a cephalotus.
This is determined by what kind of lighting that is. Example T8 as close as you can possibly get it. T5 HO roughly 4-10 inches, your reflector setup will make a difference in the distance. High quality LED's 12-18 inches.

This is the light I have right now it's easy to add another if it's lacking they just use a little jumper between them.

https://www.sunblasterlighting.com/grow ... r-24-inch/

By boarderlib
aarolar wrote: This is the light I have right now it's easy to add another if it's lacking they just use a little jumper between them.

https://www.sunblasterlighting.com/grow ... r-24-inch/

You can add as many as you want, but light dissipates in strength the further away from the bulb you get. So my suggestion would be to get the plants raised up some, maybe a false wooden bottom. That way you don't lose the charm of the overall setup. I like the wooden rustic look. Image . If you shoot for between 6-8" from the bulb to the top of the pots you should get decent coloring and pretty healthy growth.

One other suggestion would be to add some kind of reflector to focus the light down on the plants. As you can see in the second pic you're losing a lot of light out the front of the setup.

By aarolar
boarderlib wrote: One other suggestion would be to add some kind of reflector to focus the light down on the plants. As you can see in the second pic you're losing a lot of light out the front of the setup.

I've actually made up some sheet metal pieces to do just that today at work, mainly to keep from being blinded while sitting in my recliner.Image

We like the rustic wood look as well but the house has way to much of that son we are trying to break it up with an industrial stainless look.

By boarderlib
aarolar wrote:
I've actually made up some sheet metal pieces to do just that today at work, mainly to keep from being blinded while sitting in my recliner.Image
One thing to keep in mind for the reflector flat white is more reflective than polished/ unpolished sheet. I've done some pretty extensive reading, and a fair amount of testing on this subject since I'm always building reflectors and light setups.

By aarolar
boarderlib wrote:
aarolar wrote:
One thing to keep in mind for the reflector flat white is more reflective than polished/ unpolished sheet. I've done some pretty extensive reading, and a fair amount of testing on this subject since I'm always building reflectors and light setups.

Never would have imagined that the reflector on the light is a mirror.

By boarderlib
aarolar wrote: Never would have imagined that the reflector on the light is a mirror.

I know, there is a material that the light manufactures use that is different from polished sheet. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called though. It is more reflective than even flat white, but for basic sheet that rule does apply about the flat white. I used 410 stainless and mild steel sheet and neither one were close to the reflectivity of the flat white.

By aarolar
boarderlib wrote:
aarolar wrote: Never would have imagined that the reflector on the light is a mirror.

I know, there is a material that the light manufactures use that is different from polished sheet. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called though. It is more reflective than even flat white, but for basic sheet that rule does apply about the flat white. I used 410 stainless and mild steel sheet and neither one were close to the reflectivity of the flat white.

Neat trivia information, I'm using 14ga brushed SS sheets but I'll spray the backside flat white now that I know that. I'll post up a new image this afternoon after I get it installed.

By boarderlib
aarolar wrote: Neat trivia information, I'm using 14ga brushed SS sheets but I'll spray the backside flat white now that I know that. I'll post up a new image this afternoon after I get it installed.

I would be interested in seeing the difference between brushed stainless and typical sheet stainless both polished, and unpolished. I know if you use tin foil the dull side is more reflective, so would the brushed be more reflective, possibly enough to even kick flat white out of the equation? I better find me some brushed stainless.

By aarolar
boarderlib wrote:
aarolar wrote: Neat trivia information, I'm using 14ga brushed SS sheets but I'll spray the backside flat white now that I know that. I'll post up a new image this afternoon after I get it installed.

I would be interested in seeing the difference between brushed stainless and typical sheet stainless both polished, and unpolished. I know if you use tin foil the dull side is more reflective, so would the brushed be more reflective, possibly enough to even kick flat white out of the equation? I better find me some brushed stainless.

Here's the updated pic it's hard to get a good shot of my deflector simply because the light washes the photo out.

The drosera is about 4" from the light and the pings and fly trap are about 6 right now. I think I'll move the fly trap outside this weekend it seems to be doing well.ImageImage

By twitterglitter
You used my method. If it's not close enough stick a book under it. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
Looks like you're well on your way. It appears like you need some more drosera to fill in those open spots.

When you put the fly trap outside you'll more than likely lose some traps, depending on how you acclimate it. It will adjust to the sun and be much happier in the long run though.

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to mon[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!