FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Frothy_Milk
I mean..... The title says it all.

I live in Southern California and the days are usually warm and humid. Does not usually drop below 50 degrees at night, and is 70+ degrees during spring and fall. Summer gets to 80's/90's. Winter temps don't get too cold. Around 60's and 70's. (If that can help you fish out some plants that won't be good for my area)

I am currently growing my plants in my front yard where it gets sun from sunrise, until the sun starts to set. I don't plan on moving my growing location for quite a while.
Last edited by Frothy_Milk on Mon May 01, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Sakaaaaa
There are a lot lol. Here are some common plants that you should not buy:
The absolutely GIANT nepenthes

Really expensive plants

Ultra highland nepenthes

Alpine pinguicula
By Shadowtski
Any CP that has exacting requirements for cultivation or dormancy that you cannot easily fulfill.

Some need daily top watering with cold or iced water to keep their roots cool in Summer: Darlingtonia

Some have very strict temperature limits, over 80 they get unhappy, under 40 they get unhappy: Highland Tropical Drosera

Some require hot dry dormancy. Tuberous & Pygmy Drosera

Some require a cold Winter dormancy: Temperate Drosera

These are just the plants I've killed off in the past. Other growers have also added some excellent suggestions.

Your best bet, until you acquire some proficiency, is grow CP that is native to your area or to an area with a comparable climate. In addition, Subtropical species can be grown indoors, at room temperature, all year round.

Good growing,
Mike
By corky
It would help if you added your location / climate, also where you were planning to grow them , for example outside or a terrarium or greenhouse , as said already if you can find plants that like the conditions you can easily match its going to be much easier. In the Uk darlingtonia can grow easy outside year round and growers in hotter climates seem to have real trouble
By Benurmanii
I should point out, pygmy Drosera do not require a dry dormancy, their "dormancy" is more of just a last-ditch effort to survive harsh conditions. I think pygmy Drosera would be a good option for you, same for the South African Drosera. What is the humidity like during the year?
By Shadowtski
Benurmanii wrote:I should point out, pygmy Drosera do not require a dry dormancy, their "dormancy" is more of just a last-ditch effort to survive harsh conditions.
Thanks for the correction. I know they go dormant in the hot Australian Summer. I thought it was a necessity. Pygmies do not grow well for me except for scorpioides. That species is looking happy and flowering.

Good growing,
Mike
By Raistlarn
Sakaaaaa wrote:One problem with pygmys though is that to get gemmae you need to have fall.
That's not exactly true. All you need is to simulate fall conditions, which means shorter, and cooler days. Things that can be easily done by putting plants on a sunny windowsill.

As to what I wouldn't recommend. I wouldn't recommend Darlingtonia, Heliamphora, lowland neps, tuberous drosera, and petiolaris sundews... At least until you have some practice growing carnivorous plants.
I put lowland neps, because they require constantly high temps/humidity unlike highland neps which need the 10°F drop in temp at night.
The same could be said of petiolaris sundews, which are also have similar requirements to lowland neps.
Heliamphora have similar requirements to highland neps, but are somewhat finicky(and expensive,) but if you have to have a Heliamphora get a hetarodoxa x minor or a minor.
Darlingtonia require a winter dormancy and cool roots throughout their growing season.
Tuberous drosera require a summer dormancy, and a cool winter to grow properly so you might have issues growing them.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
By Benurmanii
We could really argue on this subject forever, but it really just depends on your willingness to read and appropriately judge the conditions you know you can provide.

I would disagree with petiolaris Drosera being difficult because it is easy to provide heat with T5 lighting placed on top of a terrarium, but others may have experiences with them that may make them seem hard. Unfortunately, a lot of plants are not so much "hard" to grow as they are expensive to grow.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!