FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Frothy_Milk
I have noticed that nepenthes are an extremely popular CP, and lots of people seem to have them. They don't require dormancy, which is a plus for people like me that live in areas that don't get very cold, and don't have shorter amounts of sunlight due to rainy, cloudy, and snowy weather.

Are they worth getting, and are they easy enough for a "beginner CP grower" like myself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Raistlarn
I personally think Nepenthes are worth it. I don't live in the perfect climate to grow them out of a greenhouse, but if you live in a place that gets to around 75-80°F in the day and drops to between 55-60°F at night then you could probably grow highland Neps outside... With some acclamation to a lower humidity.
If you don't have the perfect conditions you will have to grow them either inside or in a climate controlled greenhouse. Just remember Nepenthes are vines, and sooner or later they will go into the vining stage and get big(not super fast.)

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
By Frothy_Milk
Raistlarn wrote:I personally think Nepenthes are worth it. I don't live in the perfect climate to grow them out of a greenhouse, but if you live in a place that gets to around 75-80°F in the day and drops to between 55-60°F at night then you could probably grow highland Neps outside... With some acclamation to a lower humidity.
If you don't have the perfect conditions you will have to grow them either inside or in a climate controlled greenhouse. Just remember Nepenthes are vines, and sooner or later they will go into the vining stage and get big(not super fast.)

Highland nepenthes sounds perfect for me then. My area is humid because I'm on the coast, but temperatures are a perfect fit!

By Salute flytraps234
I recommend nepenthes ventracosa as a starter or a highland nepenthes hybrid, any species that are your preference if you can provide the temperatures for them.
Here is a link for you

By Raistlarn
I would also recommend a ventracosa, or a ventrata... At least until you have a feel for growing them. Then I would work my way up to the expensive cool ones such as hamata, aristolochiodes, lowii... If you like them.

By fattytuna
It really depends on your conditions and setup. In my outdoor conditions (i don't have a greenhouse) Nepenthes never grows healthily and hardly ever send down pitchers, so it's not worth it personally :P

As mentioned by others, I recommend you get an easier variety and see if they grow well. I can recommend x ventrata, ventricosa or x miranda from my experience.
By Fishkeeper
I have N. Sanguinea, and they've grown well for me. Mine are sitting over a tray of other plants, but that's the only thing I've done to increase humidity, and every leaf they grow sends out a pitcher. Huge leaf jumps, too.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!