FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Frothy_Milk
I have always been confused about sphagnum moss. Why do people put long fibered sphagnum moss around their plants. Is it more for decoration and holding moisture? Or am I missing out on something that can benefit my plants??? LFS is used for nepenthes, but I see people put it on their sarracenia, dionaea, cobra lilies, etc. If sphagnum moss is going to benefit my plants, where would I be able to get some live sphagnum moss?
By tannerm
Frothy_Milk wrote:I have always been confused about sphagnum moss. Why do people put long fibered sphagnum moss around their plants. Is it more for decoration and holding moisture? Or am I missing out on something that can benefit my plants??? LFS is used for nepenthes, but I see people put it on their sarracenia, dionaea, cobra lilies, etc. If sphagnum moss is going to benefit my plants, where would I be able to get some live sphagnum moss?
mostly aesthetics, however my hamata and darlingtonia are planted in 100% live LFS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By steve booth
Live Sphagnum produces hydrogen ions that acidifies the surroundings, so a plant grown in live sphagnum will rarely need repotting due to loss of acidity.
Cheers
Steve
By Frothy_Milk
steve booth wrote:Live Sphagnum produces hydrogen ions that acidifies the surroundings, so a plant grown in live sphagnum will rarely need repotting due to loss of acidity.
Cheers
Steve
Does the Sphagnum have to be planted in the pot to acidify the surroundings, or can it acidify by just being on the top layer?

By tannerm
Frothy_Milk wrote:
steve booth wrote:Live Sphagnum produces hydrogen ions that acidifies the surroundings, so a plant grown in live sphagnum will rarely need repotting due to loss of acidity.
Cheers
Steve
Does the Sphagnum have to be planted in the pot to acidify the surroundings, or can it acidify by just being on the top layer?

Regular dead LFS will make the media slightly acidic over time as well.

By steve booth
[quote="Frothy_Milk"]

it needs to be growing, so plant it on the surface and water well, it will start growing if the pot is large enough and wet enough. Dont pack the moss too tightly though otherwise if it cant breathe it will turn into a goopy mess.

Cheers
Steve

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!