FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Frothy_Milk
What cool carnivorous plants do you recommend to add to a beginners collection? I already own 2 typical VFTs and 1 cross tooth, a sarracenia, and a forked leaf sundew. Cobra lilies look cool, but I have heard that they are too hard to take care of, and nepenthes are too expensive so those 2 are out of the picture for a bit.

I live in southern California, so it does not get cold here. (Winter growing plants will not be that good).
Last edited by Frothy_Milk on Mon May 01, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Shadowtski
Drosera capensis is my go-to suggestion for newer growers. It's easy to grow, tolerant of cultivation errors, and difficult to kill completely. It grows to a nice big size. It colors up nicely under adequate light. Its leaves completely wrap around its prey. It comes in a variety of forms, typical, wide leafed, albino, red leafed, giant, and Big Pink, to name a few.

Here's a link to more info.

Here are some of mine.

Good growing,
Mike
Drosera capensis "Typical"
Drosera capensis "Typical"
Drosera capensis Typical 002.jpg (138.93 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
D. capensis "Wide Leaf"
D. capensis "Wide Leaf"
U subulata D capensis Wide DSC07116.JPG (296.44 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
Drosera capensis "Big Pink" Cultivar
Drosera capensis "Big Pink" Cultivar
D capensis Big Pink.JPG (424.11 KiB) Viewed 3739 times
Shadowtski liked this
By Sakaaaaa
Utricularia are internationally easy in my opinion. Just flood them when getting dry lol. Pot dowant even need to have holes. They also make very pretty flowers once they fill the pot. Drosera burmannii is also easy and has cool snap tentacles and very cheap, I got 3 for about $4. Some Nepenthes arent that expensive, try ventricosa or ampullaria or rafflesiana. All the plants I have mentioned are tropical so you can enjoy them year-round.
Sakaaaaa liked this
By Wikiwakawakawee
Sakaaaaa wrote:Utricularia are internationally easy in my opinion. Just flood them when getting dry lol. Pot dowant even need to have holes. They also make very pretty flowers once they fill the pot. Drosera burmannii is also easy and has cool snap tentacles and very cheap, I got 3 for about $4. Some Nepenthes arent that expensive, try ventricosa or ampullaria or rafflesiana. All the plants I have mentioned are tropical so you can enjoy them year-round.
Ampullaria are cheap??? How much do you usually see Ampullaria go for :?:
By Sakaaaaa
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:
Errr $6 at most (80.000 IDR)
By Benurmanii
Sakaaaaa wrote:
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:
Where you live, ampullaria is much more easily grown. Here in the temperate north, fewer people grow them as they need to build a setup that has high humidity, space, and heat.
By w03
Sakaaaaa wrote:Utricularia are internationally easy in my opinion. Just flood them when getting dry lol. Pot dowant even need to have holes. They also make very pretty flowers once they fill the pot. Drosera burmannii is also easy and has cool snap tentacles and very cheap, I got 3 for about $4. Some Nepenthes arent that expensive, try ventricosa or ampullaria or rafflesiana. All the plants I have mentioned are tropical so you can enjoy them year-round.
Depends on the Utricularia IMO, some can be really difficult to grow (highland epiphytes, some of the rare terrestrials) but most of the common ones are quite easy. However, do be careful outside since SoCal sun is super bright and can scorch utrics very quickly.

Also, it is perfectly possible to get cheap Nepenthes and grow them outside in Southern California. I have a friend who grows N. x ventrata and N. x 'Miranda' outside in San Diego; both are very easy to find in random garden stores and will do great in SoCal weather.
By Wikiwakawakawee
Sakaaaaa wrote:
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:
$6! It must be the "Ventrata" where you live huh haha :lol: I would so buy every type of Ampullaria out there if they only cost $6 :D
By Sakaaaaa
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:
Sakaaaaa wrote:
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:
$6! It must be the "Ventrata" where you live huh haha :lol: I would so buy every type of Ampullaria out there if they only cost $6 :D
Nah the ventrata is either rafflesiana or reinwardtiana or mirabilis. Rafflesiana is common in nurseries, while reinwardtiana is found in most orchid nurseries. Gracilis is found for only $4. There a lot of other supercheap neps. Like campanulata x mirabilis for $7

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!