FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Footbag
I have a few CPs on order and am starting to wonder how and where I"m going to keep them. I have a few short racks on wheels which I could probably put outside. One could probably hold my current collection easily. In this event, they would be completely exposed to the elements. In the location I'm thinking they would get about 9+ hours of sun a day.

Since the Internet gods know I've bought a few plants and am looking at horticultural equipment, all of the ads I see are for these small cheap greenhouses. For $50 I can buy one which would hold everything I could anticipate having. It would allow for multiple shelves (lighting levels) and prevent a rainstorm from washing away my plants. But I'm thinking it could also risk getting blown over. Also, possibly overheating.

Is there any benefit of buying one now to use for the summer? Or do they make more sense to use during the off seasons?

I'm thinking the greenhouse would be most appropriate for the VFTs and Pitchers, but maybe not the Nepenthes and Cephalotus. Any thoughts would be helpful on this. Thanks!
By tannerm
Footbag wrote:I have a few CPs on order and am starting to wonder how and where I"m going to keep them. I have a few short racks on wheels which I could probably put outside. One could probably hold my current collection easily. In this event, they would be completely exposed to the elements. In the location I'm thinking they would get about 9+ hours of sun a day.

Since the Internet gods know I've bought a few plants and am looking at horticultural equipment, all of the ads I see are for these small cheap greenhouses. For $50 I can buy one which would hold everything I could anticipate having. It would allow for multiple shelves (lighting levels) and prevent a rainstorm from washing away my plants. But I'm thinking it could also risk getting blown over. Also, possibly overheating.

Is there any benefit of buying one now to use for the summer? Or do they make more sense to use during the off seasons?

I'm thinking the greenhouse would be most appropriate for the VFTs and Pitchers, but maybe not the Nepenthes and Cephalotus. Any thoughts would be helpful on this. Thanks!
I grow my nepenthes, helis and ceph in a greenhouse... it's just not outside LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Raistlarn
I grow mine in a greenhouse inside too. I'd be wary about putting a mini greenhouse outside, because they turn into ovens if sunlight hits them.

What climate zone do you live in, because if you live in zone 9ish you can pretty much leave vfts, and Sarracenia outside year round with no extra protection. If you live in a cooler/warmer area then you will probably have to put them in the garage/fridge for the winter.

As a testament to how hardy vfts and Sarracenia are here's a picture of them after they got pummeled by pea size hail for a good 1/2 hour. Image
By Footbag
I'm in zone 6a. I think it's a bit too cold to leave out all year long. I could easily bring the greenhouse inside in the fall or just consider it in the fall when I'm preparing for the winter.

I do have a bunch of lighting systems from past reef aquariums, though I think an LED system could end up saving me money on power and replacement bulbs.

I'm still reading up on what's required as the weather changes. It seems like a forced dormancy is recommended.

So it sounds to me like I should just hold off on the greenhouse, get the right plants outside and then reassess in the fall/winter. Sound about right?

Thanks!
By Hungry Plants
Footbag wrote:I'm in zone 6a. I think it's a bit too cold to leave out all year long. I could easily bring the greenhouse inside in the fall or just consider it in the fall when I'm preparing for the winter.

I do have a bunch of lighting systems from past reef aquariums, though I think an LED system could end up saving me money on power and replacement bulbs.

I'm still reading up on what's required as the weather changes. It seems like a forced dormancy is recommended.

So it sounds to me like I should just hold off on the greenhouse, get the right plants outside and then reassess in the fall/winter. Sound about right?

Thanks!
I'm in 6a as well. The VFT have to come in. I'm putting a small rack in the cellar this year with an LED for about fore hours a day. My cellar stays very cool in the winter so it should work well. The sarashina can stay out all year the only time I bring them in is if it's going to stay below freezing for more than a few days. I just set them on my front enclosed porch so they defrost but not get worm.
Perlite from Ebay

yeah it does look realllly sketchy on their websit[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!