FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
I have a tray setup that was siliconed together over a week ago, and there's still a very faint smell of vinegar. I don't think most people would be able to smell it, so most people would probably put their plants in the tray about now, but I'm being cautious about it.

I've propped the tray up, crooked, and filled the most strongly-smelling corner with water. I also added a small weed sprout. If the silicone is leaching enough acetic acid to be a problem, is there any way to tell how long it'll take to kill a 2" sprout?
By Fishkeeper
I did some research, and people apparently use small amounts of vinegar to acidify the soil for plants that prefer it, but the effect wears off in about 48 hours.

Since carnivorous plants like acidic soil, does that mean it's safe to add plants? I'm in a bit of a hurry because I can only fit all my plants into their sunny spot if they're all in one perfectly-sized tray rather than sitting in a bunch of different trays.
By Raistlarn
Plants usually show the effects of vinegar exposure within 1 day, but sometimes it will take up to 1 month. The burns on the edge of the Nepenthes leaves are from vinegar, and my pinguicula(which isn't in the picture) almost melted from being exposed to low quantities of vinegar. All plants have survived though and look better than ever. Image
What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!