FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By mmlucio
I bought this heli from someone here. And i have had this heli for a couple of weeks. Its looking way more bent back than it was when it came to me and the leafs are dry ish to the touch. It is still in a ziplock bag on my windowsill. It was shipped potted so idk. Any suggestions?
IMG_9074.JPG
IMG_9074.JPG (379.94 KiB) Viewed 3993 times
IMG_9075.JPG
IMG_9075.JPG (301.18 KiB) Viewed 3993 times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By mmlucio
Its indoors so 73-74.

By tannerm
You need airflow, better lighting, and probably cooler temps (it's hotter in the bag)

By mmlucio
Should i just lose the bag all together?

By Smooter80
The bag is fine but not if it's getting direct sunlight. Temps are much higher inside the bag in the sun.

I've had Helis bagged for 2 months while acclimating but under artificial lights.
By boarderlib
It looks like it got dehydrated.

Top water the the media thoroughly to start with. Fill the pitchers about half way with clean water. You're probably going to have to do that everyday since the pitchers dried up, they're not going to hold water very well now. Remove the bag twice a day for five minutes each time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By mmlucio
Whew! Thanks guys! Hooe this helps

By mmlucio
May be a dumb question but is it ok to touch them with my hands to open the pitchers a little to get the water inside?

By boarderlib
Heli pitchers are pretty delicate anyways, especially being dehydrated. I would not recommend doing that, because more than likely you'll snap the whole pitcher off. Get a baby dropper or hypodermic needle.

It's more than likely going to be a while before you see anything out of that plant. It's in pretty bad shape. Don't give up hope though, I've seen worse bounce back.

By mmlucio
Thanks

By tannerm
mmlucio wrote:Thanks

I handle my heli pitchers all the time, I'd say it's safe to handle. Squirt some distilled water in there. Also, is there any way you can raise the ambient humidity? I really don't like the bag, as it causes stagnant and stale air to form, which leads to major problems. Even with good airflow, mold is a constant enemy for my indoor grow chamber.

By mmlucio
Im not sure how i could do that? I understand what you're asking/suggesting but im clueless

By SundewWolf
mmlucio wrote:Im not sure how i could do that? I understand what you're asking/suggesting but im clueless
Same... Raise the ambient humidity of the room to Heli levels? Won't the house will be falling apart from mold in a few years?

Just get a big clear storage container, toss in a fogger, and an air circulation fan, add LED lights on top, and stick it in the basement.
By boarderlib
tannerm wrote:
mmlucio wrote:Thanks

I handle my heli pitchers all the time, I'd say it's safe to handle. Squirt some distilled water in there. Also, is there any way you can raise the ambient humidity? I really don't like the bag, as it causes stagnant and stale air to form, which leads to major problems. Even with good airflow, mold is a constant enemy for my indoor grow chamber.

Handling pitchers on a healthy plant is a completely different ballgame compared to a dehydrated plant. That's like comparing apples to oranges. As far as bagging, there is absolutely no problems with doing it when you do it properly. If you're having problems with it then I suggest you look at how you are doing it. If you are airing the bag out like you should, and giving the plant the light it needs then all will be well. I have several pots of seedlings that have been bagged for about 5-6 months. They are mold free with almost no algae growth. When I say almost no algae growth, that means there's no visible algae I'm assuming there is some under the surface that cannot be seen though.
SundewWolf wrote:
Same... Raise the ambient humidity of the room to Heli levels? Won't the house will be falling apart from mold in a few years?
Exactly. But I would be more concerned about my family breathing in mold spores. To hell with the house. A house can be replaced, a life can't.

Perlite from Ebay

this is the cheapest option i can find for perlite[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!