FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By PeteB
I have 3 or 4 Sundews which have seeded themselves very close and nearly in to one of my VFTs in the same pot. What is the safest way to transplant them without causing harm to either plant?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
If the media is Peat-based, saturate it by soaking in a water tray as tall as the pot. Once it's soaking wet, put a tweezers or forceps under the Sundew on opposite sides of the root. Gently lift, the plant and root system should lift free. Pop it into another pot and you're good to go. If you're growing under lights, you can pop a clear drinking glass or dome over the Sundew. Leave it on for a week. This will help the Drosera acclimate to its new pot and let its roots get settled in. This isn't neccessary but I believe it lowers stress to the newly transplanted Sundew. After a week, I start removing the cover for a few hours more each day. This may be excessive and overkill, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

That's my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
By PeteB
Shadowtski wrote:If the media is Peat-based, saturate it by soaking in a water tray as tall as the pot. Once it's soaking wet, put a tweezers or forceps under the Sundew on opposite sides of the root. Gently lift, the plant and root system should lift free. Pop it into another pot and you're good to go. If you're growing under lights, you can pop a clear drinking glass or dome over the Sundew. Leave it on for a week. This will help the Drosera acclimate to its new pot and let its roots get settled in. This isn't neccessary but I believe it lowers stress to the newly transplanted Sundew. After a week, I start removing the cover for a few hours more each day. This may be excessive and overkill, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

That's my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
Thanks very much ,I will give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!