FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By w03
I would disagree that moisture is necessarily the problem for the utric. Some utrics need flooding, but U. warburgii isn't one of them in my experience (although it does appreciate being flooded now and then). However, if the dish went completely dry at all, that can definitely cause the die-off you see in the picture.

Be sure to check your air humidity as well. If your humidity dropped very low, sometimes it can kill off the surface growth. Try putting a cover on it if your air is very dry; you'll need to acclimate it over some time.

Also, utrics in general tend to be a bit sensitive to minerals or other impurities in the soil and water. I noticed that you're using what seems to be a porcelain dish. If it isn't glazed on the inside, then that could also leach crud into the soil and cause die-off.
By w03
That's another good point; sometimes manufacturers will put surfactants on peat, or pre-moisten it using tap water. Although you definitely don't need to wash -all- peat, it's good to test and make sure the tds is fine before using it.
By Hungry Plants
w03 wrote:I would disagree that moisture is necessarily the problem for the utric. Some utrics need flooding, but U. warburgii isn't one of them in my experience (although it does appreciate being flooded now and then). However, if the dish went completely dry at all, that can definitely cause the die-off you see in the picture.

Be sure to check your air humidity as well. If your humidity dropped very low, sometimes it can kill off the surface growth. Try putting a cover on it if your air is very dry; you'll need to acclimate it over some time.

Also, utrics in general tend to be a bit sensitive to minerals or other impurities in the soil and water. I noticed that you're using what seems to be a porcelain dish. If it isn't glazed on the inside, then that could also leach crud into the soil and cause die-off.

I guess I could have over watered. They are in tea cups glazed inside and out no chips. The humidity is 75-80% in my little green house. My TDS meter should be here any day now. I did not wash my peat didn't know you had to. All my other plants are doing just fine. How do you wash peat and how do you tests its TDS ? My Sandersonii is starting to do it as well but now has two flowers coming up. one is just starting to open. The Fulva is still doing great so far. :?
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!