FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Hungry Plants
Heillo. Two of my plant have gone south in the last few days.

First off I got three Utric. Fulva,Sandersonii and Warburgii. They are all in 1.1.1 peat,perlite and sand. The sandersonii and the Warburgii threw up a flower stem a week after I got them. They all wher doing very well. Now the leaves on the Warburgii have just melted away. The flower stem is still there but now leaves. Any thoughts on whether it well grow back and why it happened.

Second is a P. Prim I got about a week ago. I was very full with a mother plant and good amount of small ones coming off it. It looked really cramped in its little one inch pot or whatever it was. I put the mother plant in its own pot and separated five babies off it and put them in their own pot . They are in the same mix as the Utric. The babies are looking well but the mother plant looks like its drying up. I use the tray method with them. I have 48w of T5 HO over them and the mother plant is only about an inch farther from the light as the babies.

Any tips and help would be great. Thanks in advance
By Wikiwakawakawee
How wet do you have your Utricularia? I flood my sandersonii whenever the water level in the glass mug I have them in drops all the way down.

Can't say much about the Prim, same thing happened to me and I only managed to save 2 by the time I realized how to care for them :oops:
By Hungry Plants
Benurmanii wrote:all of those plants appreciate LOTS of water

I keep them nice and wet. My other Utric and doing fine just the Warburgii lost its leaves.
By Bhart90
Yea my prims practically swim! I've never lost a single one.
By Fishman
I am going to go with what Ben said. These plants like plenty of water. Especially the p.prim. Try to up the humidity a little bit. Give it some fresh air once or twice daily. Mine stay covered all day everyday. I flood it about every 3 to 4 days. I pour water around the plant until it is completely submerged. I let it drain immediately. I put the cover back on it right afterwards. The end result is what you see in the pic. I have been repeating this for several months now. Im growing it in live sphag only. Best of luck!
Attachments:
20170318_213242.jpg
20170318_213242.jpg (558.42 KiB) Viewed 4409 times
20170318_213220.jpg
20170318_213220.jpg (878.67 KiB) Viewed 4409 times
By Hungry Plants
Fishman wrote:I am going to go with what Ben said. These plants like plenty of water. Especially the p.prim. Try to up the humidity a little bit. Give it some fresh air once or twice daily. Mine stay covered all day everyday. I flood it about every 3 to 4 days. I pour water around the plant until it is completely submerged. I let it drain immediately. I put the cover back on it right afterwards. The end result is what you see in the pic. I have been repeating this for several months now. Im growing it in live sphag only. Best of luck!

I put Them in a slightly smaller pot and added some LFS to the mix. Hoping it will wick more water up to the plant. Can you give me more details on your pot setup?
By Fishman
Its a little tiny 1.5"- 2" plastic pot that came with some kind of succulent. Theyre usually found at walmart in the lawn and garden section. I just tossed the succulent into one of my terrariums and decided to use the pot for this particular plant. I put some live moss in it and just watered it a bunch until I felt like it settled in nicely, (moss seems to last me longer and grow better when packed tightly in a pot for me, possibly because of fewer air pockets to make things dry out perhaps), then I began a regular 2 to 3 day watering/flooding schedule for it. The little clear top that you see is just one of those microwaveable Rubbermaid dishes you can get at walmart or some place where tupperware things are sold. I found one that was slightly larger than the pot and bought it. I threw away the lid that it came with and turned it upside down over the pot. I just leave the plant covered like this day and night, and it is completely air tight. No holes for air to get in or out. It allows for very high humidity. Just gotta remember to take it off once in awhile and blow in there for fresh air (daily for a few minutes). I prefer to use a fan instead of me giving air to the plant. When i am not messing with the plant, it stays in a tray with a small puddle of distilled water in it so it never dries out. I do not put it in direct light. As opposed to using my strong leds for this one, i put it about 8" away from a couple of 6500k t8's and not directly under them, just off to the side. Been growing them this way for months with no issues whatsoever, and has given me several plantlets from pullings too. Its very similar in growing Utrics this way for me too, except i dont see much need for covering those unless they're introduced to a different environment, and that is only until ive acclimated them, then the lids come off.

*Edited
I forgot to add, my method is what has worked for me in my conditions where im at. It may be something as simple as changing media for you or watering, etc. What may work for me, might not for someone else. Just some ideas that worked for me ;)
Fishman liked this
By Alvin 415
I grow my Utricularia underwater. Not intentionally. I placed a couple of Utric bowls in my greenhouse last year. They filled up with water from the misters, and I never bothered to drain them. They are still alive, and starting to bloom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Hungry Plants
Alvin 415 wrote:I grow my Utricularia underwater. Not intentionally. I placed a couple of Utric bowls in my greenhouse last year. They filled up with water from the misters, and I never bothered to drain them. They are still alive, and starting to bloom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any clue if mine will come back?
My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!