FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By Raistlarn
Hi guys/gals. I bought and repotted a few phals a few days ago, and I have a few questions about fertilizers. I currently use very dillute 16-16-16 Maxsea at 1/4 tsp to 1 gallon RO water for my carnivorous plants. I was wondering:
Can I use this fertilizer at this strength for my orchids?
Can said fertilizer be used as a weekly fertilizer?
Final question is; how long should I wait after repotting the orchids before I start to fertilize them, especially since I had to trim most of the root system off of one plant.
By Adelaide
I use 20-14-13 BetterGro orchid food on mine, directions say 1 tbsp to a gallon. I'm sure the maxsea solution you're using would be fine. I have phals that bloom with no fertilizer but twice daily distilled water misting (in a frog viv) and I have phals blooming that I rarely water/fertilize at all.Image

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Adelaide, Adelaide liked this
By evenwind
Maxsea is a great fertilizer for orchids and your "weekly/weakly" schedule is exactly what is typically recommended. I'd also give it one week a month of pure water as a flush.

The thing to be careful of with a balanced fertilizer like Maxsea is that IF you're using bark and that bark is starting to get old, then you should switch to a high nitrogen fertilizer (the first number in the 16-16-16) since ageing bark will absorb nitrogen.

As for when to start fertilizing, I usually wait until I see the first signs of new growth. At a minimum, just be sure the damaged roots have time to heal - a least a week or two.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!