FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Lilhypnokat
Hi all!! It's been a while since I've posted. My adventure with my fly trap failed sadly so I took a break to research. I want to grow a carnivorous garden where I live. (Northern Utah) but I'm being cautious this time. Trying to find what will grow, what won't, and if I need to keep it indoors or can put it outdoors. I've had so many questions with little luck in answers. I know there are so many different plants and environments they need. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated before I delve deeply into it. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
I could recommend a 1000 plants, but without knowing what best suits your life, that would just leave you chasing your tail.

Do you have access to grow outside? Some people can't because they live in apartments and what not. Do you have a budget for lighting if growing indoors, or will they be windowsill plants. Do you have a preference in plants? The bulk of mine plants are from the Sarraceniaceae family (pitcher plants, cobra lily's, and Heliamphora).

As far as the weather there. You should be able to grow most temperate CP'S outside there. You'll need to come up with a way of providing them a safe dormancy though. A general rule of thumb is, if it's below freezing protect the plant. This will vary from plant to plant some though.

The easiest and cheapest method is to buy a or a few typical fly traps from Lowe's, and figure it out on that plant. Once you have it figured out, because every grower has their own techniques they use. Then start looking at more specific plants that you'll be able to keep long term.

Just remember the keys to being successful with CP's is, distilled, rain, RO waters only. Nutrient free soil. No fertilizers, no Miracle-Gro. Lots of sun.

Next of luck!

Stupid phone! Best of luck!

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html
By Lilhypnokat
Thank you boarderlib for your response! I do have a space outside (small yard) and if it were inside I would probably go with windowsill, though I'm not against using growing lights.

I have been looking at sundews and pitcher plants, and Cobra Lilly's.. I was reading somewhere pitcher plants might not be feesable here though. Really I'm looking at my options and I'm not limiting myself yet. (As far as going to Lowe's... I work at home depot... Lowe's is a scary place.. ;) but really I might. The traps we had last I looked at my store were... Not being cared for properly and dying sadly)

Thank you for your feedback. I greatly appreciate it!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
By Fishkeeper
Lowe's tends to have a halfway decent selection of neat plants, really. They usually have 3ish types of orchids, and they almost always have flytraps at the least. Sometimes pitchers, like a hanging basket of neps or a pot of sarrs, and every now and then they have the death cubes with other little CPs in them.
By David F
Hello there, I also live in Utah, Kaysville, which is right around where you are. It's possible to grow any temperate plant here, hit me up sometime and I can set you up for cheap or free. Plants outside will require extra protection such as partially burying or mulching.

If you leave plants outside in your area unprotected, it's unlikely that any but the most hardy will survive, although sometimes Sarracenia will surprise me and a few southern species will survive.

I specialize in sundews and grow the majority indoors under growlights in bins etc. There are a couple of growers in Utah, and they infrequently post on the forums (terraforums and here). Best of luck!

David
By JimCooper
Hi, I'm glad I found this post. I live in Lehi, UT, about halfway between Provo and Salt Lake City. I'm just getting started with carnivorous plants. I purchased several North American pitcher plants and a Venus flytrap from a local nursery. I also purchased a couple of sundew plants, a nepenthes, and a Venus Flytrap from Predatory Plants. They are all quite small, but seem to be coming along nicely. I keep them in a window sill with grow lights, and put them outside when the weather is good. When things warm up some, I plan to keep them outside full time. I hope to get some tips from local growers as I go along.

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

This was pulled out of dormancy last week. I did n[…]

Not what you would expect...

Why, the portion cup in front of the binata in the[…]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!