FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By deleted user
Would using a normal lamp light bulb provide light for photosynthesis in a Sundew? It's cold here in the UK and I don't want it to go late into dormancy as I only just got it and there isn't much sun during the day. At night, would using a lamp bulb help it at all? I will be using the light anyway, just wondering if it would help the plant in any way or if there's no point in putting the plant next to it. Image
By bijillon
It would help the plant flower as it probably a 2700k temperature bulb, for growing you need to have al least 6000k but ideal is 6500k. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Happy Growing,

Dillon
By deleted user
bijillon wrote:It would help the plant flower as it probably a 2700k temperature bulb, for growing you need to have al least 6000k but ideal is 6500k. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Happy Growing,

Dillon
I am not going to be using this as the actual source of light, that will be the sun, but if it helps the plant even in the slightest I will use it as there isn't much sunlight at the moment in the UK and I'll be keeping sundews out of winter dormancy so that they don't die back to the roots.
Thanks
By Benurmanii
bijillon wrote:It would help the plant flower as it probably a 2700k temperature bulb, for growing you need to have al least 6000k but ideal is 6500k. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Happy Growing,

Dillon
Not matter what color temperature, the strength of a normal bulb will be much too weak. There is lots of misleading info About color temp, and I have found what really matters is the actual strength of the lights. I've used lights ranging from 3000k mixed with 6500k, pure 6500k and pure 4100k, and observed that plant's will only grow stronger if given stronger lighting. Nimbulan has done some research into color temps and could probably dispel some of the myths out there.

I don't think it is worth leaving this light on for the plant, to it, it would only be slightly more than darkness.

Also, those Drosera will not go dormant, they are not a temperate species.
By corky
I've grown sundews on a windowsill for years during winter in the UK and never had any die back to the roots that weren't supposed to ie temperate plants, looks like d. Aliciae ? I'd just leave it on a windowsill and it'll be fine , short day length won't harm it but a southerly or sunniest window is best
By deleted user
Benurmanii wrote:

Happy Growing,

Dillon
Not matter what color temperature, the strength of a normal bulb will be much too weak. There is lots of misleading info About color temp, and I have found what really matters is the actual strength of the lights. I've used lights ranging from 3000k mixed with 6500k, pure 6500k and pure 4100k, and observed that plant's will only grow stronger if given stronger lighting. Nimbulan has done some research into color temps and could probably dispel some of the myths out there.

I don't think it is worth leaving this light on for the plant, to it, it would only be slightly more than darkness.

Also, those Drosera will not go dormant, they are not a temperate species.
It should go into a sort of dormancy, dying back to its roots in cold temperatures.
By deleted user
corky wrote:I've grown sundews on a windowsill for years during winter in the UK and never had any die back to the roots that weren't supposed to ie temperate plants, looks like d. Aliciae ? I'd just leave it on a windowsill and it'll be fine , short day length won't harm it but a southerly or sunniest window is best
Yes, it's an aliciae. I'll just keep it on the windowsill then.
By deleted user
Benurmanii wrote:Many Drosera will die back during cold temps, but only around freezing, and that is basically "emergency mode", not a metabolic dormancy.
That would be the temperature.
By Benurmanii
rulen24 wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:Many Drosera will die back during cold temps, but only around freezing, and that is basically "emergency mode", not a metabolic dormancy.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
By deleted user
Benurmanii wrote:
rulen24 wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
I mean if I left it outside it would be around freezing
By Benurmanii
Oh, I see. I am referring to the fact that dying back is not a healthy nor necessary dormancy for these, and so you should not have any reason to put it outside during the winter. They will grow for many, many, years in standard room temps.
By deleted user
Benurmanii wrote:Oh, I see. I am referring to the fact that dying back is not a healthy nor necessary dormancy for these, and so you should not have any reason to put it outside during the winter. They will grow for many, many, years in standard room temps.
I know. That's why I was asking if the lamp would provide more light to photosynthesise as it is on a windsill instead of a greenhouse getting all possible light, which would make the plant die back as it is cold.
By Benurmanii
rulen24 wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:Oh, I see. I am referring to the fact that dying back is not a healthy nor necessary dormancy for these, and so you should not have any reason to put it outside during the winter. They will grow for many, many, years in standard room temps.
I know. That's why I was asking if the lamp would provide more light to photosynthesise as it is on a windsill instead of a greenhouse getting all possible light, which would make the plant die back as it is cold.
Oh ok, I understand now. Depending on the direction your window is facing, it should provide enough light until temps warm up above freezing so that you may put it outside. It could likely handle some light freezing too. I know I found my D. capensis survived temps around -4 C, possibly even a but lower. They died when they dried out during a freeze, no thanks to a drop in air humidity due to freezing winds.
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!