FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Sakaaaaa
So, today, 4:00, My new plants arrived!!!
They are S. Scarlet Belle and U. Calycifida "Asenath Waite".
Both of them arrived in good condition.
(Will put them in a larger pot once I have media)
Scarlet Belle: 6cm diameter
Utricularia: Recieved 2, one was about 1 cm and the other about 2 cm.
Attachments:
Sarracenia "Scarlet Belle"
Sarracenia "Scarlet Belle"
20170221_154603[1].jpg (719.98 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
Sakaaaaa liked this
By Sakaaaaa
Any advice?? There was a note in the utricularia package that said to acclimate it first so I am doing that.
By hackerberry
Probably referring to light condition. Slowly acclimate to light intensity.
By Hungry Plants
Congrats on the new plants. To bad you weren't closer to me. I just got three different Utri myself. would have been nice to trade some when they grow out. Good luck with them.
By Sakaaaaa
hackerberry wrote:Probably referring to light condition. Slowly acclimate to light intensity.
Yep, I'm acclimating right now. Right now I put it in the Anvil Mountain, yomorrow I will put it in Pond Ridge (I name every sun spot!)
Hungry Plants wrote:Congrats on the new plants. To bad you weren't closer to me. I just got three different Utri myself. would have been nice to trade some when they grow out. Good luck with them.
Yes I saw your post :) You live in Connecticut, US, I believe? We can trade seeds via mail, though.
Sakaaaaa liked this
By w03
For the U. calycifida, LFS based mixes work pretty well, keep the humidity quite high and don't give it super intense light. If light levels are too high it often responds by growing small, recessed leaves and making a bunch of underground growth points.
By Sakaaaaa
w03 wrote:For the U. calycifida, LFS based mixes work pretty well, keep the humidity quite high and don't give it super intense light. If light levels are too high it often responds by growing small, recessed leaves and making a bunch of underground growth points.
Alright thanks for the tip. I have lots of places for this type of plant in my house.
By Fishkeeper
Question: does U. Sandersonii also respond to too much light by growing tiny leaves and mostly spreading underground? My teacup of Sandersonii that's closer to the windowsill is doing that, while the stuff further away is just spreading like mad above and belowground.
By w03
I find that Utricularia in general tend to like somewhat lower light levels than, for example, Drosera. However, in my experience U. sandersonii will tolerate intense light much better than many other species.

If it seems to like shadier conditions in your care, then it's fine by all means to move it to less intense light. As long as the growth doesn't become skinny and etiolated they're doing fine.
Drosera germination time

I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, an[…]

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!