FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By shenri
Hello, just bought a typical flytrap and 20 seeds from the flytrap store. Wow the flytrap looks awesome. Can't believe how well it was packed and arrived in perfect condition. Hope I can keep it alive since this is my first trap. The instruction sheet says it's dormant but it looks like it's ready to grow since it's getting close to spring. I'll keep it in my cold window for a few more weeks and see what happens.
IMG_2013.JPG
IMG_2013.JPG (638.48 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
By Adelaide
Welcome to the forum! Nice looking plant!
By xr280xr
Welcome shenri! Congrats on your new flytrap. Be sure to read the Basics on flytrapcare.com! Resources> FAQs is also helpful.

Which direction does that window face. Venus flytraps love direct sunlight and a window usually doesn't allow them to get enough. I don't know if you've grown them before but the most common problem beginners have is too little light, and/or too much water followed closely by letting them dry out.
By shenri
The window faces east and gets full sun until I get home at noon. Then I move it to a south window that gets full sun until about 4:00. The sill gets to about 58F at night so it should stay dormant for several weeks right? We are still only getting about 10 1/2 hours of daylight in February.
By xr280xr
shenri wrote:The window faces east and gets full sun until I get home at noon. Then I move it to a south window that gets full sun until about 4:00. The sill gets to about 58F at night so it should stay dormant for several weeks right? We are still only getting about 10 1/2 hours of daylight in February.
Cool, sounds like you've got the lighting covered! 58 is a pretty high low. I would bet it will start to wake up and grow over the next week or two. It should've had a good winter rest by this point so it will be ok if it does wake up.
By shenri
At noon today I was moving my plant to the South window and I noticed one of the larger traps was shut. Low and behold he caught a boxelder bug that has been in the window sill all winter. Will the plant be ok since it's still dormant?
Attachments:
IMG_2016.JPG
IMG_2016.JPG (636.41 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
By PiranhaPlanter1
The reality is that it may or may not die. Just that one trap though. But remember, for every trap that dies off a new is birthed
It may not die though if you give it that full light cycle (:

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!