FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Hungry Plants
I have some bladderwort coming in and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on planting them. Like soil mix, lighting etc.
By Jds
I just make a small hole in the soil enough to fit the bladderwort and water it from above so it settles in the soil.
Soil:50:50::Peat:Perlite.This is best one for bladderworts I guess.
For lighting,if it gets morning sun on regular basis,I am quite sure it will flower.It doesn't require much light though(Not the same for U.quelchii and other utricularias like those).
By Fishkeeper
Most aren't too fussy about soil. A standard soil should work for most terrestrial ones, and LFS is generally a fairly good bet. I have U. Sandersonii happy in a standard CP peat-and-sand soil, and U. Longifolia happy in live LFS.
They like a lot of water. Seriously, flood 'em now and then. These are the only CPs that will happily sit in a container with no drainage.

Also, if you put U. Sandersonii (and, presumably, others) in a clear-sided container, they sprout leaves all along the roots that are along the sides. Here's some of mine in a wineglass. I have like 10 times as much of this as I did when I potted it there in late December, it's all over the top and creeping down the sides.

And it's adorable in a teacup. There's way more of it just barely under the surface.
By nimbulan
U. sandersonii you can treat like a standard subtropical plant with your preferred peat soil mix. I have found that this species likes to grow out into the water tray, especially if there is peat in it.

U. fulva is more of a lowland plant so it likes warm temperatures and often grows submerged in shallow water.

U. warburgii I'm not specifically familiar with but it's probably safe to treat it the same way as U. sandersonii, based on the pictures I'm finding.
By w03
U. warburgii is super easy, it'll be fine in the same conditions as U. sandersonii. It is, however, quite difficult to flower.

U. fulva grows super slow unless you have water almost up to the surface of the pot. Submerging it in shallow water is alright too.

Various combinations of peat, sand, and perlite should work for all of them.
w03 liked this
By Hungry Plants
Thanks for the tips. hopefully they ship ok. Weather took a turn for the worst after I made my order. now I just have to find some cool pots to put them in. open for any tips that anyone wants to give.
By Fishkeeper
My suggestion would be a thrift shop or antique store. You don't need a pot, per se, just a reasonably water-tight container made of inert materials. Fishbowls would also work.
By Hungry Plants
Fishkeeper wrote:My suggestion would be a thrift shop or antique store. You don't need a pot, per se, just a reasonably water-tight container made of inert materials. Fishbowls would also work.

We have a place close to me that sells used dishwhere. Im going to check them out and see what i can finde.
By w03
If you pick up anything, make sure it's glazed (without exposed paint or anything like that on the inside), and without broken or chipped spots that will be exposed to the soil. In my experience Utricularia are a little more sensitive to contaminants than many other CPs.
By Hungry Plants
w03 wrote:If you pick up anything, make sure it's glazed (without exposed paint or anything like that on the inside), and without broken or chipped spots that will be exposed to the soil. In my experience Utricularia are a little more sensitive to contaminants than many other CPs.

Thanks for the tip. They haven't gotten here yet. I think there waiting for better weather.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!