FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By Branmuffin
I am just learning about TC and although I read through the FAQ tutorials I am a little confused over the speed of growth using TC instead of just sticking a leaf pulling or seed in some medium and waiting.

I understand that TC can create many plants very quickly vs. a leaf pulling will create just 1 plant until it is large enough to divide on its own which could take years, but, how long does it take (I realize every plant is different) to take a TC and turn it into a juvenile plant?
Also, how fast will a seed turn into a juvenile plant, or whatever size you remove it from sterile culture and return it to traditional medium and how long would that have taken to grow a similar size plant in just traditional medium?

I don't know if this makes any sense, just trying to wrap my head around the time to grow in TC vs leaf propigation etc. Thanks for the insight!
By Doomsday
If you want a few clones, tissue culture will likely take more effort/time than just regular leaf/root propagation. Some plants, like lots of sundews, propagate very easily and quickly with pullings/cuttings. Others, however, don't propagate that way well, or at all, and tissue culture helps multiply those without needing seed.

The thing about tissue culture, is that it tends to have a pretty slow startup time for each species you want to initiate (especially via callus induced on explants), but then once you get to the point where your in-vitro specimens are dividing and growing quickly, it picks up speed exponentially, and you can end up with thousands of clones if you want.

In regards to starting a seed in-vitro vs in-vivo, if given the right media and conditions, it should grow much faster in-vitro. For example, Dionaea muscipula can take 3-5 years to mature enough to flower, if planted in-vivo. In-vitro, you can have a flowering plant within a year.
Doomsday liked this

still growing, inside pitcher still looks OK hopin[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!