FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
I have an idea for potentially making my own CP pots in just the right sizes.
As far as I can tell, there is no reason why I shouldn't make a box out of eggcrate (plastic grid used to diffuse lighting), sew a square bag out of weed-blocker fabric, and put the bag around the box. The eggcrate would be a form to keep the bag stiff and standing up, the bag would keep all the dirt inside, and it could be made in practically any size. It'd be a bit like those grow-bags, but sturdier and custom-made. Plus, more aeration than a plastic pot. It might lose water more quickly, though, since the fabric wouldn't keep much moisture in.
I'm assuming no one else has done this, but has anyone tried CPs in grow bags?
By Adelaide
I've thought of making orchid containers with an eggcrate box and stuffing it with sphagnum but never did. I did however have one of my nepenthes growing in in shagnum spread on flat eggcrate with water underneath, the moss hanging down through the eggcrate wicked the water up and kept it nice and moist without being too wet, worked really well. Peat holds water pretty well, I'll bet this idea works pretty well. You could use mesh screening around the eggcrate instead of a grow bag or jute, eggcrate wrapped in mesh screening is how false bottoms are made for vivaria.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
By Fishkeeper
Weed blocker around eggcrate is actually how I make vivarium false bottoms, which is where I got the idea. Also, I have a roll of weed blocker and most of a sheet of eggcrate left over from a terrarium I just set up, so I have the supplies on hand.
Any idea if weed blocker is safe for CPs? I don't remember the brand, just that the bag said something about it being plastic that's made out of corn.
By Adelaide
No, sorry, I don't know anything about weed blocker. Plastic made out of corn? That does not compute to me, lol.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!