FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
I'm curious what sorts of non-pot containers some people keep their plants in.

Succulents in a pump-less aquarium filter because the idea amused me and it was actually a pretty good size.

These two orchids got really dehydrated on a wood mount, but I didn't want to put them in pots because I didn't want to deal with possible rot, so now they're in a mount/pot cross to see if that does better.

U. Longifolia and hitchhiking seedlings in a supposedly Ming bowl off of Ebay. Not sure if it's authentic, but it's neat. Might move the plant to a deeper pot when it grows a bit- it wasn't happy when I got it and I wanted to be sure I could keep an eye on it.

(flowering, yay) U. Sandersonii "Blue" in a matching teacup.

Propped-up Tillandsia and rabbit's foot fern sprout in little attempted terrariums with live peat moss to see how they do. Just set both up.

D. Capensis that only had three and a half healthy leaves when I put it in there last month. I water this one carefully, since it doesn't drain, but the sundew seems to love it in there.

U. Sandersonii "blue" that's growing leaves out of the roots up against the grass. Hoping it'll keep doing that, because it ought to look awesome if that fills in more.
By Muddledde
I don't have a picture atm, but I do have some drosera growing in a Maker's Mark bottle and I was recently reading a thread about somebody using legos.
By Fishkeeper
Actually, that was me asking about the Legos, mostly for use as mini shelves and to prop pots up. I might try making Lego pots that kinda border on baskets, for stuff that likes highly aerated substrate.

How do you plant Drosera in a bottle? Long tweezers?
By Wikiwakawakawee
Looks like we had the same idea for the U. Sandersonii haha, I put mine in a glass mug and it's growing phenomenally! It's finally starting to unfurl it's first flower as of today actually!Image Oh and I put a ping and a sundew in there too.Image

I don't know if you count mounts as a container, but I mounted a few orchids.

And I got some different tillandsia with sea urchins hanging from the ceiling so they look like jellyfish.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
By Fishkeeper
Very nice!
How long have you had the various setups?
And how do you keep the orchids wet enough?
By Wikiwakawakawee
Fishkeeper wrote:Very nice!
How long have you had the various setups?
And how do you keep the orchids wet enough?
I set up each one at the same time about a month or 2 ago maybe? I just spray my orchids heavily before I leave in the morning, and since the sphagnum I attached holds a lot of water, they usually stay wet until the next day. The cool thing about the orchids is that the unopened buds changed direction and grew right side up while hanging down, you can kind of tell from the picture that the last flowers to open are right side up while the older ones are upside down.

By Muddledde
@Wikiwakawakawee: I love the hangings plants! I will have to try that some time. Maybe go for an octupus or squid like resemblance.

@Fishkeeper: I filled the bottle with moist soil, placed some seeds on the end of a chopstick and carefully planted the seed in the soil.

It may be hard to see, but there are two plants in there.

Here is a close-up of those plants.
By Wikiwakawakawee
Oh yeah I found a "moonshine" bottle out it the woods and cleaned it out. I put some "mood moss", Java moss, and some U. Sandersonii in there and haven't done anything to it since, It's just kinda hard to see into it.

By Wikiwakawakawee
Muddledde wrote:@Wikiwakawakawee: I love the hangings plants! I will have to try that some time. Maybe go for an octupus or squid like resemblance.

@Fishkeeper: I filled the bottle with moist soil, placed some seeds on the end of a chopstick and carefully planted the seed in the soil.

It may be hard to see, but there are two plants in there.

Here is a close-up of those plants.
If you want to make it resemble a squid or octopus, I would recommend using tillandsia Medusa or bulbosa, they have crazy looking tendrilsImage Here's a Medusa that I have in my class.

By Muddledde
First: @Fishkeeper: All of your images loaded up for me, and I enjoy how rustic everything looks and how you put everything to use and made it look like it was meant to be that way.
Wikiwakawakawee wrote:Oh yeah I found a "moonshine" bottle out it the woods and cleaned it out. I put some "mood moss", Java moss, and some U. Sandersonii in there and haven't done anything to it since, It's just kinda hard to see into it.

Your moonshine terrarium is beautiful! And as a fan of H.P. Lovecraft, I absolutely adore the hanging Medusa. That is being moved up on my todo list.

Lately I have been referring to this book for inspiration.Image

I've been collecting a lot of glassware and containers and waiting for the weather to change.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!