FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By bijillon
I just bought some *real* ( I did that just in case someone thought I got scammed) N. (mirabilis x raff) x Northiana. Any tips are welcome. This is what I'm growing them in. It's a cooking pan with a clear plastic top for humidity. The seeds were harvested on the 13th so we shall see if they work!uImage This is my first time with nepenthes seeds!

Happy Growing,

Dillon
By Shadowtski
I'd be carefull about putting acidic material in aluminum unless it's plastic lined. I'd suggest plastic, ceramic, or nonreactive metal for holding Sphagnum or Peat.

But I might be overly cautious. I have seen acidic food products (lasagna) eat through aluminum foil in a week.

Good growing,
Mike
By nimbulan
Metal trays aren't recommended, though I really don't know how much of a problem it might be. If you sowed the seeds already it's going to be difficult to move them into a different container though. I personally just pack LFS into regular pots and cover them. Since the pots drain, it prevents the LFS from staying too wet so I don't get any algae growth. I use a spray bottle to keep the seeds moist and a heating pad to make sure they have a good day/night temperature variation.

Good luck!
By boarderlib
Let me tell you from experience nothing will tick you off quicker than when you go to pick that pan up, and you're holding the pan but everything that was in the pan is on the floor. I used those once for a Sarr germination, and the bottom corroded out after about two months. Just in time for the seedlings to start sprouting.

You can normally pick up decent plastic trays at your hardware store. They also usually have plastic germination trays for seed starting your garden. I have been getting the empty 72 cell Jiffy trays. I buy the ones without the peat pucks and fill them with LFSM. Like this one. Jiffy Seed Starter Greenhouse 72 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004RA45/re ... Jyb019BTCZ

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html
boarderlib liked this

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!