FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of subjects other than carnivorous plants, such as orchids, landscapes, etc.

Moderator: Matt

By Sakaaaaa
I found this hanging out on a plant in my pond that I have yet to fill with untricularia... An ID would be appreciated...
Sakaaaaa liked this
By Grey
That is one seriously gorgeous bug!! Being the crazy bug lady that I am, though, I would say that.

It reminds me a lot of a phasmid -- stick or true leaf insect; they do have a habit of perching in a very similar manner and many of them have long antenna and share similarly fantastical camouflage. While it does scream "phasmatodea" to me, I can't say that I know for certain that it is a member of that family, let alone what species it could be. Most winged phasmids (that I've seen) tend to have wings under wing covers that don't expressly cover the back legs anyway. And those feet! Oh how I miss those gorgeous little clawed feet clambering across my arm.

It also reminds me of a lacewing or some similar species of fly, although the wings are usually held differently. Do you have a rough estimate of the size?

Whatever it is, I want to knooooow! I'll do some digging and see if I can find an ID but if not, hopefully someone else will jump in and solve the mystery.
Grey liked this
By Seymour_
Very kool bug! It looks like a piece of bark. Im amazed at how well animals can camouflage.

Sent from my S7 Edge via Tapatalk
By Sakaaaaa
@Grey The body is about 7cm, the antennae, on the other hand, are about 8cm

@Seymour_ Wait till you see a pic of a mantis I found
Sakaaaaa liked this
By Seymour_
Ooooh please post. I like mantis. If i had a greenhouse i would keep them in it.

Sent from my S7 Edge via Tapatalk
By nimbulan
Nice find! I've always been fascinated with stickbugs, but unfortunately there's only one species that lives anywhere near me and I've never seen one.
By KategoricalKarnivore
nimbulan wrote:Nice find! I've always been fascinated with stickbugs, but unfortunately there's only one species that lives anywhere near me and I've never seen one.
Or you may have seen one. It just blended in so well you didn't notice it. Lol
By Sakaaaaa
SundewWolf wrote:I'm going to take a wild guess and say Sathrophyllia rugosa, a species of Asian katydid
Match!

My questions would be what and why? What are you […]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!