FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Sakaaaaa
I have seen growers around here, in Indonesia, they grow all kinds of temperate stuff like sarrs and vfts, but I have NEVER, EVER, heard of them talking about dormancy. A specialized nursery even says that you dont have to give them dormancy and just do them like sundews and nepenthes. So is this possible? It would be great!!
By tannerm
From what I understand, it's possible but the plant won't be very happy after a while and will either die or stop growing as much. You want dormancy on these guys. And if you can't get it cold enough, just let them (flytraps at least) dry out and that will trigger dormancy as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Sakaaaaa
tannerm wrote:From what I understand, it's possible but the plant won't be very happy after a while and will either die or stop growing as much. You want dormancy on these guys. And if you can't get it cold enough, just let them (flytraps at least) dry out and that will trigger dormancy as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh really? :o :D I'm getting flytraps and sarrs then!!
By FLTropical
Reducing photoperiod helps too. Between going dryer and the shortening day, my sarracenia, drosera, and vfts all go dormant - in south Florida.

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

worm in substrate?

might be fungus gnat larvae

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!