FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
Thought I'd try to rescue some CPs from Lowes. Got a couple of healthy-looking VFTs, and three "terrarium kits", each with a sarr bulb and a VFT bulb, that were on sale for $3 each because nobody wanted them.

ImageImage
Felt sorry for the mostly-dead ones, but I thought I should go for a couple that might survive. These two were the least spindly and look like they might develop some nice colors eventually. Any way to tell if they're going dormant without knowing the growth habits? The traps are still going, if that helps. I accidentally put my thumb in one and it closed very quickly.
The one with more leaves turned out to be two. Here are all three of them, on top of the incredible amount of moss that was packed into those pots. That heap isn't even fluffed out, it's still mostly compressed. I assume this was meant to help them retain moisture. Their roots are coated in some sort of dirt, presumably their original growth medium.
Potted them all up with my own sphagnum moss (to be sure it's mineral-free) and a bit of live stuff on top. They're currently under my grow rack so they won't get much sunlight at first, I don't want to shock them.
Would feeding them be helpful, or should I put them somewhere coldish and let them go dormant? The leaves are all sort of curled in, and I'm not certain what that means.

The kits turned out one poor sarracenia tuber that was trying very hard to grow but couldn't find any light, one that wasn't growing at all but seems heavy enough to probably be alive, and one very spindly tuber that seems probably alive. One VFT that was trying to grow, one that wasn't but seems healthy, and one (in the same bag as the spindly sarr) that I couldn't find. I stuck the dirt from that bag into a tiny pot and watered it, and I'll check now and then if anything is growing, just in case it's a very tiny bundle of roots.
I threw out the sphagnum moss they'd included, as it was dingy and looked like it might be rotting a bit. Considered using the dirt that was included, as it looked like the right composition for CP soil- mostly just decayed-down organic material, very light- but I couldn't use it because I could not re-moisten it. It was incredibly hydrophobic, so much so that holding it down in water failed to soak it. I still have the dirt, it smells like good dirt, but I didn't use any.
Top two are the sarrs in LFS because I didn't have anything else to put them in, the square mossy pot is the tiny sarr, the square bagged pot is the dirt that mmmaybe has a VFT, and the two round pots (those pots you get orchids in from the grocery store) are the VFTs in mostly live sphagnum because I ran out of the dead stuff.

Any tips for keeping these guys alive? The twisty sarr I'm guessing will grow weirdly and maybe perk up if it's gradually introduced to more light, the two other sarrs will probably sprout just fine, and the VFTs look like they're probably going to be just fine on their own.

On an almost completely unrelated note, some healthy finds.

Tillandsia meduseae, part of my "can I keep a bunch of epiphytes happy on this piece of driftwood in my room" experiment. Seems totally healthy.

Cattleya orchid, also on the stump. Leaves are a bit dark, so it wasn't getting enough light, but that's not surprising. Hoping it'll like indirect light from a South-facing window. Lots of healthy-but-thirsty roots.

Tiger jaw plant in a new pot. Hoping it'll flower eventually. Looks maybe a bit light-deprived but seems healthy.
By Hungry Plants
Nice finds . I got my Nep as a rescue from there.
By DeadlyCarnivore
Cool finds! I rescued a nep from a lowes not too long ago, I think it finally might be pitchering now. After about 3-4 non pitchering leaves it threw out a long tendril and a pitcger that didnt look like the ones it threw out before. I think its starting to color up, not sure.

Sent from my SM-G935V
By Bhart90
I have a container filled sith those lowes finds.

Man, I don't know if these idiots never gave them dormancy, or they were just really off horribly.

Some are dying slowly, others growing rediculously slow. I got mine for a dollar each, I got 15 or 16 growing, I'm guessing they never gave them dormancy for these things are from Florida, just propogated and sold.
By DeadlyCarnivore
Bhart90 wrote:I have a container filled sith those lowes finds.

Man, I don't know if these idiots never gave them dormancy, or they were just really off horribly.

Some are dying slowly, others growing rediculously slow. I got mine for a dollar each, I got 15 or 16 growing, I'm guessing they never gave them dormancy for these things are from Florida, just propogated and sold.
Im also pretty sure that they are just watering them with regular water.

Sent from my SM-G935V
DeadlyCarnivore liked this
By Bhart90
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:

Sent from my SM-G935V

Holy hell deadly 5 points my man, didn't even think of that... duh. I feel like the dog in your avatar haha
By DeadlyCarnivore
Bhart90 wrote:
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:

Sent from my SM-G935V

Holy hell deadly 5 points my man, didn't even think of that... duh. I feel like the dog in your avatar haha
Haha yeah, every nursery I go to always has CPs in bad condition, and I found out that they dont even know that CPs need distilled water. Pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-G935V
By Sakaaaaa
DeadlyCarnivore wrote: Haha yeah, every nursery I go to always has CPs in bad condition, and I found out that they dont even know that CPs need distilled water. Pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-G935V
Mines even worse. "OH YEAH NEPENTHES IS AN ORCHID RIGHT???"
Sakaaaaa liked this
By Fishman
Most nurseries, Lowes & Home Depot included, use the same water to water their cps as they do the rest of their inventory. Ive had extensive discussions with their floor and sales people about it. To them, im just being nosy and rude im assuming by the responses i get lol.(anyone who knows me can say that im not that kind of person unless provoked lol) Theyre just working their shift, doing as theyre told. They do not care. Or another way to put it, maybe they do care, but are not in the position to change their watering policies/proceedures when the majority of their garden sales comes from non cps. After all, they are in it to make money, not to be successful at growing the plants. I just try to purchase a couple of cps here and there when i see them needing attention. Then again on another note, i have seen several of you forum members mentioning Lowes carrying Neps, Droseras, even Pings. My store only gets the deathcubes of vfts and a very occasional s.purpurea in a deathcube and that is it. Never seen a sundew or nep in these stores. I guess it must be at a stores ordering discretion as to what they receive on their trucks... i would love to see more of what everyone else is finding in these stores. At least i'd have something to look at when im shopping...
By DeadlyCarnivore
Sakaaaaa wrote:
DeadlyCarnivore wrote: Haha yeah, every nursery I go to always has CPs in bad condition, and I found out that they dont even know that CPs need distilled water. Pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-G935V
Mines even worse. "OH YEAH NEPENTHES IS AN ORCHID RIGHT???"
Really? Wow.....

Sent from my SM-G935V
By DeadlyCarnivore
Fishman wrote:Most nurseries, Lowes & Home Depot included, use the same water to water their cps as they do the rest of their inventory. Ive had extensive discussions with their floor and sales people about it. To them, im just being nosy and rude im assuming by the responses i get lol.(anyone who knows me can say that im not that kind of person unless provoked lol) Theyre just working their shift, doing as theyre told. They do not care. Or another way to put it, maybe they do care, but are not in the position to change their watering policies/proceedures when the majority of their garden sales comes from non cps. After all, they are in it to make money, not to be successful at growing the plants. I just try to purchase a couple of cps here and there when i see them needing attention. Then again on another note, i have seen several of you forum members mentioning Lowes carrying Neps, Droseras, even Pings. My store only gets the deathcubes of vfts and a very occasional s.purpurea in a deathcube and that is it. Never seen a sundew or nep in these stores. I guess it must be at a stores ordering discretion as to what they receive on their trucks... i would love to see more of what everyone else is finding in these stores. At least i'd have something to look at when im shopping...
The supplier that supplies lowes with multiple cps sells them in round pots with domes. Its a different supplier than the one that sells the death boxes. The lowes I go to now doesnt sell the different kinds of CPs now than it did a couple of years ago, now they just sell VFTs. I have only found one Lowes by where I live that sells nepenthes and anywhere else near me either sells the death boxes, or the VFTs.

Edit: Gublers orchids is the supplier that sells the different kinds of CPs, thats what shows up at least when I go to Lowes's website.

Sent from my SM-G935V
By Fishman
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:
Fishman wrote:Most nurseries, Lowes & Home Depot included, use the same water to water their cps as they do the rest of their inventory. Ive had extensive discussions with their floor and sales people about it. To them, im just being nosy and rude im assuming by the responses i get lol.(anyone who knows me can say that im not that kind of person unless provoked lol) Theyre just working their shift, doing as theyre told. They do not care. Or another way to put it, maybe they do care, but are not in the position to change their watering policies/proceedures when the majority of their garden sales comes from non cps. After all, they are in it to make money, not to be successful at growing the plants. I just try to purchase a couple of cps here and there when i see them needing attention. Then again on another note, i have seen several of you forum members mentioning Lowes carrying Neps, Droseras, even Pings. My store only gets the deathcubes of vfts and a very occasional s.purpurea in a deathcube and that is it. Never seen a sundew or nep in these stores. I guess it must be at a stores ordering discretion as to what they receive on their trucks... i would love to see more of what everyone else is finding in these stores. At least i'd have something to look at when im shopping...
The supplier that supplies lowes with multiple cps sells them in round pots with domes. Its a different supplier than the one that sells the death boxes. The lowes I go to now doesnt sell the different kinds of CPs now than it did a couple of years ago, now they just sell VFTs. I have only found one Lowes by where I live that sells nepenthes and anywhere else near me either sells the death boxes, or the VFTs.

Edit: Gublers orchids is the supplier that sells the different kinds of CPs, thats what shows up at least when I go to Lowes's website.

Sent from my SM-G935V
Ah ok makes sense. I wouldnt mind putting a bug in our local store managers ears to see if they would consider getting a bigger and better variety than just vfts lol... yea the death cubes are those "Bug Biting Plants" brand. I guess thats a brand lol... they always look so depressed when i see them.. ok yea Gublers. I am familiar with them. Now i can bug the store manager and ask why they send Orchids, but not the other cps lol...
By DeadlyCarnivore
Fishman wrote:
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:

Sent from my SM-G935V
Ah ok makes sense. I wouldnt mind putting a bug in our local store managers ears to see if they would consider getting a bigger and better variety than just vfts lol... yea the death cubes are those "Bug Biting Plants" brand. I guess thats a brand lol... they always look so depressed when i see them.. ok yea Gublers. I am familiar with them. Now i can bug the store manager and ask why they send Orchids, but not the other cps lol...
Bug biting plants is a website, I didnt know they supplied CPs to stores though. Thats kind of cool. Good luck with your local store manager! I hope it works out, its an easier way to get some CPs. The VFTs and nepenthes are the same, but ive noticed (in vegas at least) that there can be different kinds of butterworts and sundews (its usually spatulata, but their pictures on the carrying case shows adelae, I think they might have switched fully to adelae though). I dont know about their sarrs though, the pictures ive seen show Purps, but also some other kind of sarracenia. I think I may have also seen a cobra lilly once, but I didnt know what a cobra lilly was back then, so im not sure.

Sent from my SM-G935V
FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!