FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
I'm looking for a nep that's relatively easy to keep indoors. I have a South-facing window that gets light all day, and my N. Sanguinea seem happy in front of it. I like neps that have round or teardrop-shaped pitchers, and I'll gladly take suggestions for easier species that tend towards that growth habit, or ones with bright colors.
I'd prefer to buy small babies, like the sort that occasionally sprout off the larger plant, rather than cuttings. I'm looking for small ones because, frankly, they're more inexpensive.

I'll also consider just about anything that anybody has that they think might like a South-facing windowsill in Texas. Lots of light, lowish humidity, will probably be able to catch plenty of gnats. I already have D. Spatulata, D. Capensis, U. Sandersonii, U. Longifolia, and N. Sanguinea that are all doing well. Suggestions are welcome. Again, I'd prefer to buy small plants, but I might consider easily established cuttings. No seeds unless they'll sprout within a week or so, please.
By Smooter80
I bet reinwardtiana red could do well as a windowsill plant. It's an intermediate. Sorry for the blurry photos and the color is a bit off because of my LEDs.

I have several of these from a few locations. I like the contrast of neon a green peristome on the red pitchers. Kind of a squared off mouth and fridgeless wings. The lower pitchers have a unique shape. Overall very simple but I like them
Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (480.4 KiB) Viewed 3448 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (479.8 KiB) Viewed 3448 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (314.29 KiB) Viewed 3448 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (408.86 KiB) Viewed 3448 times
By Shadowtski
It's hard to go wrong with Nepenthes "Lady Luck", AKA "Bloody Mary", AKA N. Ampullaria x ventricoas.

It's cheap, readily available, and tolerant of a variety of conditions.

Good growing,
Mike
Nepenthes 'Lady Luck'
Nepenthes 'Lady Luck'
Small_DSC06939.jpg (71.13 KiB) Viewed 3438 times
By Wikiwakawakawee
Shadowtski wrote:It's hard to go wrong with Nepenthes "Lady Luck", AKA "Bloody Mary", AKA N. Ampullaria x ventricoas.

It's cheap, readily available, and tolerant of a variety of conditions.

Good growing,
Mike
Small_DSC06939.jpg
I seem to be the only one who can't grow N. Lady luck haha...this is mine right now:

It's growing right next to this N. Poi dog I have and is starting to grow a nice pitcher:Image

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
By PetroleumJunkie412
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:Ventrata or miranda. Both underrated.
I could sell you a ventrata

+1 for both.

Miranda is a tank. It survives on a south facing window shelf for me, and every leaf throws a pitcher. My humidity monitor on the shelf shows it drops to as low as 15% RH at times, and the Miranda does not experience any damage. Mirandas can take a minute to GTST after being repotted, but once their roots reestablish, they are virtually as easy as a spider plant.

My ventricosas are pretty much the same, though they are more susceptible to pitcher loss when the humidity drops.

I hear hookeriana is durable as well. I'll be experimenting with a wholesale order of them once the spring breaks.
By Adelaide
I think you'd really enjoy a Lady Luck since you like rounder pitchers - they are short and squat and have very nice coloring and thick peristomes.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
By Fishkeeper
The Lady Luck pitchers are gorgeous! Anyone know a good source or have one for sale?
By Fishman
Fishkeeper wrote:The Lady Luck pitchers are gorgeous! Anyone know a good source or have one for sale?
I have a small one i can sell you. It is a well established cutting from one of my adult plants. Its been on its own for about 8 months. It has 4 small pitchers beginning to grow. When i get home from work today, i can send pics if interested. If you find one before then, best of luck!
By Dave 1999
He i think i have a little problem with my nepenthes lady luck ( bloody mary)
It is my first nepenthes
But i was really trying to make a good environment for it so i placed it first in a windowsill it was doing fine then big leaves but smal pitcher production
But that cold been because it was winter
But it when it was getting februari the leaves turned red so thought it was sun burn and placed it in a north east window
With only 2 hours of direct sun light
But the pitchers were getting smaller
So i placed it in a plastic green house
And the pitchers were so big but the growing tip wasnt growing any more
I think it was in shock of low humidity to high humidity so i leaved the plant there for about a month and nothing happend so i got it out of it and placed it back
In the north east window whit low humidity
Later i read that if you place a nepenthes in high humidity and back in low humidity it can kill the plant
But i think it survived it but the leave production i verry slow can this be because it need to adjust to that spot again ?
I will place some pictures of it
Attachments:
1495446003628-1879000627.jpg
1495446003628-1879000627.jpg (589.24 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
20170511_165139.jpg
20170511_165139.jpg (608.25 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
By Wikiwakawakawee
Yeah you probably should've stuck to the one spot that's closest to it's needs. It takes time yo acclimate, and you moving it around may have slowed it down even more. I would recommend just leaving it in one spot and see how t does. (I'm still waiting for my lady luck to acclimate to windowsill conditions from my greenhouse, but it takes time.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
By Dave 1999
I have another question maby its a dumb question but is nepenthes lady luck a carnivorous or vegetarian because ampullaria is vegetarian
And ventricosa is carnivorous
:D
And i ask this question because al my nepenthes make nectar on the lid
But my N lady luck does not ?

And my lady luck is recoverd kinda
It has made some new leafs but they are smaller but thats oke
At least it is growing again
Thx for reading

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!