FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By LadyDeathStrike
Ok, I've had my VFTs for about a month now, I live in the mountains of Colorado, so outside is not an option so my plants are in a terrarium. They were doing really well at first. I have them in sun light for 9 hrs a day, and then under a UV light for another 6 hrs. The temp is kept constantly at 72 degrees which I heard was best, but now a layer a green mildew/mold has started to grow on my perlite/peat moss combo and I can't get rid of it. Anyone know how to get rid of mold before it hurts my VFTs?
By Matt
Hello and welcome to flytrapcare!

I just moved from the mountains of Colorado (well, Boulder isn't quite in the mountains) and I grew my plants outside from May until October and they did awesome. You should really consider moving them outside in the summer months.
LadyDeathStrike wrote:now a layer a green mildew/mold has started to grow on my perlite/peat moss combo and I can't get rid of it. Anyone know how to get rid of mold before it hurts my VFTs?
Welcome to the headaches of growing VFTs and other temperate plants in terrariums. While it can be done, there are much easier ways to grow them than in a terrarium. If you remove them from the terrarium, you will almost certain stop the fungus and mold from growing. If you have an unheated porch or garage that doesn't freeze, that's the optimal place to put them this time of year so they can experience a proper dormancy. Without dormancy, there's a chance that your plant won't make it through next season.

Hope that helps!
By Veronis
Do you have a photo? There are tons of different kinds of greenish growths you might have.

I agree with what Matt said, they will probably do better as a house plant than in a terrarium, and as a house plant you also have far less chance of unwanted growth.

Again, a photo would help...but if it looks more like the coloration of the soil surface is starting to turn greenish (it might even change the consistency of the surface soil to a little harder/more "brittle", rather than actually seeing a covering of fully-opaque growth), I'd guess it's just algae, which is actually completely harmless.

If it bothers you, though, and we confirm that it is just algae, neem oil should handle it. Take the plants out of the terrarium, spray it on the soil, and leave the plants outside the terrarium until it evaporates (in front of a fan on low for about an hour should suffice, unless it's a semi-warm day and you can put them outside for a bit). Green Light and Garden Safe are the best brands of neem oil.

Amazon has some you can order here: http://www.amazon.com/Green-Light-Organ ... 215&sr=8-6

Also Lowe's and Home Depot and probably Wal-Mart should sell Neem Oil (stuff that "contains" neem oil might hurt your plants, so only get it if it's plain old "neem oil").
By kevinqwe
Welcome to flytrapcare!
That stuff might just be algae (water less)
atleast give your plant some time outside
By linton
You could scrape it off and replace the top layer of compost with fresh compost or silica sand.
By Aging_Bourbon
Yes, Yes welcome!

Allen,
By Carolyn
Just scrape the mold off or remove the plant and place it somewhere were there is less humidity. Mold is often becaused by high humidity I believe?
Hope it helps!

Carolyn
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!