FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By brn_thmbs
I have a single Ping caerulea in flower with one flower that's been open for a little while & another still forming (almost there). Since I only have one & I wanted to try and get it to seed, I was thinking I could just collect the pestles with the pollen on them & save them until the other flower opens & is ready for pollination. I doubt the one that's open now will last until the other flower is ready, I can see it starting to lean its head back which is why I need to act quick.
My question is how do I store the pollen for a few days until the other flower opens?
And secondly, what are the possible repercussions of self pollinating this plant?
TIA
-brown thumbs

Don't mind the flowering Dendrobium along side it :)
By Bob Beer
I haven't tried it with Pinguicula (though I'm about to try it myself) but generally pollen can be kept viable for a long time in the freezer. There is more than one approach but what you want to do is carefully remove the anther shortly before the pollen is released (many Pinguiculas don't release their pollen on the first day anyway but they will release it even though you've removed them from the flower), let them dry in a cool dry place for a couple of days, then seal them in a suitable, sealable container and put it in the freezer. You can also use aluminum foil. Of course it's less fiddly with larger flowers (one Brugmansia anther produces more pollen than 20 or 30 Pinguicula flowers) but the principle is the same.
Bob Beer liked this
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!