FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Benurmanii
1/4 tsp per gallon. I rarely feed my plants, use it on occasion in my tuberous Drosera (about every week or so). I have to rant rain it on my Drosera to get a noticeable effect; I recently saturated the surface of my D. viridis with it and it is now producing a flower stalk.
Benurmanii liked this
By DeadlyCarnivore
I just soak beta pellets in it then feed those to my drosera, or put a drop of the stuff on the leaf, it curls around it. I use about 1/4 tsp a gallon and do it every 2 weeks or so.

Sent from my SM-G935V
By Bhart90
In regards to maxsea, is the container normally not filled to the top. I ordered mine and opened it 4 find like 25% of the can was empty, are they made like this?
By DeadlyCarnivore
Bhart90 wrote:In regards to maxsea, is the container normally not filled to the top. I ordered mine and opened it 4 find like 25% of the can was empty, are they made like this?
Its probably supposed to be like that. Since so little can go a long way (With CPs at least).

Sent from my SM-G935V
By Fishman
erikHIplants wrote:Does anyone feed their plants with maxsea through foliar spraying? If so what concentration do you use and how often?
1/2 tsp per gallon solution. I use it through a spray bottle and mist the plants once every 2 to 3 weeks. If i do it carelessly, i rinse the media around the plant. Otherwise buildup does occur over a period if time. I have seen spectacular results using MaxSea.
Last edited by Fishman on Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Fishman
Bhart90 wrote:In regards to maxsea, is the container normally not filled to the top. I ordered mine and opened it 4 find like 25% of the can was empty, are they made like this?
I would say every container I have purchased is filled about 3/4 of the way to the top.
By nimbulan
Like many products, Maxsea is filled by weight, not by volume. If you weigh the container you should find you have the correct amount (though I do not actually know how much the container itself weighs.)

As for using it, I've found 1tsp/gallon to be safe for all my plants (Drosera, Nepenthes, and Pinguicula) except D. prolifera which does not seem to like foliar feeding at all. Even D. adelae doesn't mind it. If I have a good group of plants I'll spray, otherwise I use a 25 gauge glue/oil applicator needle to place drops on the leaves.

That said, I find that betta pellets work much better for sundews (though Pings don't seem to be able to digest that.) The only issue is that it's a lot more work to feed them so I tend to use betta pellets for plants I really want to give a boost, and Maxsea for the rest.
By TheCapedSundew
Maxsea is amazing. I mix 1/4 teaspoon/gallon and apply with a spray bottle. I use it every two weeks (on plants that go dormant, I'll give maybe a light spritz a month during dormancy). My sundews (capensis, indica and tokaiensis) love it. The cape. and tokai. even curl up into little fists as if they'd caught a bug.

You can also spray it directly into pitchers ;)

I'd just avoid spraying too much directly on the soil, as it can lead quickly to algae.
By DeadlyCarnivore
I have been soaking beta pellets in the stuff, then after they dry out I fold a piece of paper, put the pellets in there, and crush them as much as I can. I have been feeding it to my pygmies. They love it!

Sent from my SM-G935V
By TheCapedSundew
erikHIplants wrote:Thanks for all the replies everyone. Got my maxsea feeding going well. My leaf applicator apparatus, it's an iv catheter lol.

That is serious :lol: I just use a cheap supermarket spray bottle, though I sometimes use an eye dropper for baby pitchers.

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!