FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

How long can a Mimose Pudica (sensitive plant, touch-me-not, ect...) Live?

Up to 20 years.
50%
Forever.
50%
By Gry
Hi guys.

Simple question.... I know a Mimosa Pudica can live up to 20 years, but can they live longer than that? can they live... in theory, more than 100 years (or forever) if they were grown in good conditions?

it's all in theory of course, but I would want to experiment with this plant and this is one thing I cannot experiment with, because YOLO, haha!

In advance, thanks for any info :)

There is a small poll if you just want to quickly tick it instead of writing a whole sentence out :)
By Gry
Benurmanii wrote:I mean, their natural environment is the ultimate "ideal" condition, so I wouldn't expect them to live much past their expected lifespan in cultivation.
True, but what is the said expected lifespan exactly? 20 years? longer? they are perennials, but... as far as I know, (most) perennials can live forever but there is some controversy with M.Pudicas
By Benurmanii
Gry wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:I mean, their natural environment is the ultimate "ideal" condition, so I wouldn't expect them to live much past their expected lifespan in cultivation.
True, but what is the said expected lifespan exactly? 20 years? longer? they are perennials, but... as far as I know, (most) perennials can live forever but there is some controversy with M.Pudicas
I haven't heard of any perennials that can live forever. I guess that plants that can divide asexually can live "forever", but definitely not the mother plant. I don't even think a plant can conitnue itself on forever through divisions, I would imagine that over a very long period of time, the divisions would be become weaker and weaker.
By Gry
Benurmanii wrote:
Gry wrote:
I haven't heard of any perennials that can live forever. I guess that plants that can divide asexually can live "forever", but definitely not the mother plant. I don't even think a plant can conitnue itself on forever through divisions, I would imagine that over a very long period of time, the divisions would be become weaker and weaker.

True, true, I guess you have a point.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!