FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By veggiescarnivores
Overnight my Lowii seems to have developed a black bit on its new leaf. I'm wondering if it is mould as it is too wet or not enough air flow (it's been living in a box due to heating issues in the greenhouse)

Ideas?
Attachments:
IMG_0212.JPG
IMG_0212.JPG (718.16 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
By nimbulan
It's hard to tell what's going on from the picture, but I imagine that lack of airflow is to blame. It looks a bit like powdery mildew which is common with Nepenthes, and does not generally harm the plant. Don't discount other possibilities though.
By tannerm
Get some neem and increase airflow/reduce watering. Here's my lowii (keep in mind they're super slow growers, probably the slowest nep). I put the media right up to the rim of the pot and sprinkled some sad over it to prevent from algae growth Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By veggiescarnivores
Awesome, thanks for the replies guys!
What is neem?
Also, any ideas for improving air flow yet keeping humidity up whilst reducing watering????
By tannerm
veggiescarnivores wrote:Awesome, thanks for the replies guys!
What is neem?
Also, any ideas for improving air flow yet keeping humidity up whilst reducing watering????
Neem oil comes from the Indian Lilac and it has good anitfungal/antibacterial/antimold properties. It's safe for carnivorous plants and also will kill any pests.

I've had my lowii for about 5 months. How long have you had yours? Also, I'd DEFINITELY recommend pulling off dead growth, maybe cutting that black-ish leaf, rinsing the roots with distilled water, repotting, spraying and lightly watering with neem and increasing airflow.

By nimbulan
Neem is primarily an insecticide, though it's supposed to help control fungus as well. I haven't found the anti-fungal properties to be very strong myself.

As for N. lowii's supposed slowness, I've seen pictures of a very fast growing specimen before. I know the AW clone which is quite common is known to be very slow though.
By tannerm
nimbulan wrote:Neem is primarily an insecticide, though it's supposed to help control fungus as well. I haven't found the anti-fungal properties to be very strong myself.

As for N. lowii's supposed slowness, I've seen pictures of a very fast growing specimen before. I know the AW clone which is quite common is known to be very slow though.
check out my thread on the progress of mine. Not sure how that is relative to others'

By veggiescarnivores
Update:
Couldn't get hold of Neem oil...
I cut off the blackened bit of the leaf and trimmed off any dead bits. The previously blackening leaf has continued to blacken to the centre of the plant... with only one leaf left, will it survive?
Humidity is 80%, approximately
From now on I'll hold off the good plants and go for easier hybrids!
Attachments:
One root...
One root...
IMG_0464.JPG (412.65 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
The leaf continues to blacken
The leaf continues to blacken
IMG_0463.JPG (366.56 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
By tannerm
You need a systemic fungicide/anti mold product. I hope it's currently potted.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!