FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By binnkim
Hi everyone,

Since I won the Canadian give away, I am successfully growing sundews of various types.

Problem is, I put them in one pot and now I have no idea which is which.

Also, one died (I cut the main stem by accident).

1. Drosera..?

2. Baby drosera?

3. Bladderworts? U. Something soni.. ?

4. Micro... drosera..?

5. I cut this guy by accident but I'm hoping for a miracle that it will grow roots.. lol Image

Thanks all! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By xr280xr
binnkim wrote: 2. Baby drosera?
The large plant here is a Drosera. Looks like a capensis to me, but I'm terrible at identifying Drosera species.
binnkim wrote: 1. Drosera..?
In the center is a baby Drosera.
binnkim wrote: 3. Bladderworts? U. Something soni.. ?
Yes, it looks like terrestrial utricularia.
binnkim wrote: 4. Micro... drosera..?
A Venus Flytrap
By binnkim
binnkim wrote: 4. Micro... drosera..?
A Venus Flytrap[/quote]

Thanks so much for the Names.
If you look closely Image there is a tiny sundew. =]

By boarderlib
The big one in the first pic is Capensis, and the baby one next to it is more than likely Capensis too. The one in the fly trap pot is the one that needs to get bigger to tell.

Capensis changes a lot as it gets more mature.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html
By nimbulan
I see lots of D. capensis. The one you accidentally cut is D. adelae which is known to send up new growth points from the roots regularly. The Utric will need flowers for identification, though it's probably a more common species if its a hitchhiker and the leaves like a lot like U. sandersonii. If that's the case it won't be long before you find out since it flowers constantly.
By Tarzanus
I agree, I see Drosera capensis on all the photos except on the one that was supposed to be cut off it's main stem. The seedlings also resemble Cape sundew.
All of them seem to be white version of Cape sundew, Drosera capensis 'Alba', except perhaps the seedling from that venus flytrap pot, I can see a bit of red on it's tentacles. I think. :)

They might need some more light
By binnkim
Ok so it is U.Sandersoni for sure. Hopefully the one I cut re-grow from its roots...

Should I move the micro D.Adelae? It hatches from the remaining seed that I thought I effectively killed all, about half year ago..

Being in Canada, it's hard to get more light without buying artificial lights.. i was thinking of letting them go into dormancy. But I am watering slightly more than summer to compensate for the lack of light.

By SundewWolf
binnkim wrote: Should I move the micro D.Adelae? It hatches from the remaining seed that I thought I effectively killed all, about half year ago..

Being in Canada, it's hard to get more light without buying artificial lights.. i was thinking of letting them go into dormancy
Yes, the adelae will likely die like that. It needs very high humidity and light to regrow roots or start leaf propagations. In my experience artifical light is necessary, but it can be a cheap daylight cfl bulb in a desk lamp. Propagating queensland sundews usually will not work in low light levels.
By w03
Try putting the D. adelae in some good quality sphagnum moss, in my experience it tends to do much better in sphagnum based mixes.

Also, I would tentatively agree that the utric is probably U. sandersonii (there are other utrics with similar leaf shapes, like U. livida and U. warburgii). Just as a note, the leaf shape indicates that it could probably use some more light as well.
Last edited by w03 on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
By nimbulan
In my experience just putting D. adelae in stronger light will cause the leaves to quickly burn. I don't think there's much hope for that growth point, personally, but the plant should regrow from the roots pretty quickly.
By SundewWolf
In the post he mentions that he cut the Adelae roots on accident. So it's going to die unless they do leaf floatings close to a light source. That's how I propagate all my queensland sisters. Even the roots should be exposed to light to get more propagations.
By binnkim
I will update all of you whether Adelae ref rows from the roots or not :) thanks so much. You guys are genius.

1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!