FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By 1 Novice gardener
Hey guys I need help I setting up a terrarium. I have figured out almost everything else other than humidity, temperature and airflow.
For humidity can I use a ultrasonic humidifier?
For temperature(if needed) can I use reptile heat pads?
Airflow I the thing I am worried about because I am not able to find any solution to it. Somebody advised me to use a set of mini fans in which one blows and the other sucks to form airflow, but I am not able to find this set in any shop.
Any help will be appreciated!!
By Aozora
Ill be getting my heliamphora in a few hours and when i get them ill be setting up my tank and post some pictures so you can see how i did it.

Humidity and temperature are usually already high in a terrarium, but you can use a heat pad, for extra humidity im also using a ultrasonic mist maker.

For fans you can use 12v or 230v computer fans, they are small and easy to build into a terrarium.
By boarderlib
Search amazon, all you need is one or two computer fans. The number of fans will vary depending on the size of your tank.

As far as humidity that will vary on several factors. What plants will be in the tank? Is it an open top tank, or closed top tank?

Temperature will fluctuate with the ambient air temp of the room. Also the lighting used will be a huge factor. The ventilation of the tank will effect temp, as well as open or closed top.

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By 1 Novice gardener
Hey guys I will be purchasing sarracenia and Cape sundew seeds for my new terrarium. For lighting I will use a 6500k 22 watt 1900 lumen LED tube. I will also purchase a ultrasonic humidifier and a couple of small computer fans. I don't think so it will need more heat will it ? The average humidity level in my state is in between 40% to 75% during winters. Is this time good for sowing sundew and sarracenia seeds?
By boarderlib
You don't need a terrarium then. Capensis does just fine in an open air environment, and Sarrs are far happier outside then you'll ever make them in a terrarium.

Sarrs are also temperate plants (needs a dormancy period) while Capensis is a subtropical. It doesn't require a dormancy.

Just a suggestion, get a light and a clear table and just start them in open air. It'll make your life easier, and save you money that you could spend on more plants.

I have fly traps, Sarrs, sundews, cobras, ceph's, a nep, and Heli's. The Heli's are the only plants I grow in a terrarium.

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
boarderlib liked this
By Aozora
1 Novice gardener wrote:Hey boarderlib
At what temperature level and humidity level can we germinate sundew (cape) seeds?
mine germinated after 2 weeks with at temperature of 68℉ and a humidity of 40-50%
By boarderlib
1 Novice gardener wrote:Hey boarderlib
At what temperature level and humidity level can we germinate sundew (cape) seeds?
I apologize I did not see this post. I germinate sundews by making up a pot with LFSM, sprinkle the seeds on it. I'll usually use a diluted hydrogen peroxide mixture to treat the media. Then place a bag over the pot. Right now my seedlings are running between 70°F-85°F (21°-29°C). I'm guessing the humidity level in the bag is probably in the 90% range.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

worm in substrate?

might be fungus gnat larvae

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!