FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Dredd93
YaronR wrote:You can always try a gentle top watering to flush out as much minerals as possible.
Also - some silica sand being sold actually isn't pure silica sand, and has a high concentration of salts or shell fragments in it, as they originate near seas.
When I buy sand, I prefer to get pool filter sand, and test it first by having it stand in RO water, and measuring the TDS of the water after a few hours.
I now clean my sand until my TDS is around 12ppm, it's a pain but well worth it, it tends to last a long time.
I will check if there is such an option instead of buying the sillica sand on the nursery.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
By Dredd93
Alvin 415 wrote:I just tested the water in a tray this morning. I recently foliar sprayed fertilizer, so it could be reading higher because of it. This is one of my full sun cephs. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that's a very good result after the foliar spray, not like mines, big difference from 132ppm to 400ppm and I haven't used anything on them.

By Nauz
After I fertilize with maxsea (mix is 450ppm) the following day I flush with water it only comes out at 13ppm at most. Working with high ppm like that continuous is dangerous. Then again cephalotus is such a remarkable plant. I wouldn't have my sundews in that water though lol.
By Dredd93
Nauz wrote:After I fertilize with maxsea (mix is 450ppm) the following day I flush with water it only comes out at 13ppm at most. Working with high ppm like that continuous is dangerous. Then again cephalotus is such a remarkable plant. I wouldn't have my sundews in that water though lol.
I guess then I will keep flushing my Ceph with 7ppm instead of changing the soil, I hope there's still a chance for it to grow like my other.

Drosera germination time

There are many factors that influence them, and th[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!