FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By mrlara10
Since I have a balcony garden I used "ant bait traps" that I found at home depot. I spoke with an expert there and this way it'll keep the ants off the plants without having to spray any chemicals on them! It made sense so I bought a couple and 2 days after they appeared they seemed to have vanished.
By mikepellerin
My Uncle was an avid Bonsai gardener. He used to use a nicotine insecticide, made from cigarette butts. I found this ehow recipe. (I had to google for the instructions. My Uncle just used to eyeball it.)

http://www.ehow.com/how_4884401_make-ni ... icide.html

Would this be safe to use on CP's? I mean if Bonsai users have been using it on valuable plants, I can't see how it would hurt CP's.
mikepellerin liked this
By Sander
Mike, i actually tried this last week, and seems to be working less effectively then pyrethrum (commercial) spray.

No visible damage so far (used ro water instead of tap)
By sniktbiff
This is my first post to this forum but I have been here many times and have found it very helpful thus far. I snapped some pictures of my issue. I have small bugs on my VFT that do not stimulate the traps to close, even though they seem big enough to do so. I triggered a trap to close on one of them and I guess it did not struggle around, because the trap was opened back up the next day with the same little bug still on it. I looked at all the pictures and I still don't see anything that looks like what I've got. My VFT seems to be still in good condition, so maybe the presence of these bugs is happenstance. Maybe they just like hanging out in the moisture.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5D6dA ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5D6dA ... sp=sharing
By KategoricalKarnivore
I just saw two leaf footed nymphs on my VFTs. I know they pierce plants and suck out the juice. They prefer fruit trees but I'm wondering if anyone has had any trouble with them on VFTs?
Attachments:
leaf footed nymph
leaf footed nymph
image.jpeg (45.9 KiB) Viewed 7448 times
leaf footed nymph
leaf footed nymph
image.jpeg (86.4 KiB) Viewed 7448 times
By xr280xr
I had loads of those in my previous yard but never saw any on my flytraps. They really liked my tomatoes, especially the fruit and also pepper plants. Maybe those attracted them away from my VFTs. There are a lot of species in that family, I don't know if they're all herbivorous, but they'd definitely make me nervous on my VFTs. Assassin bugs and wheel bugs look similar too, but that does look like a leaf footed nymph in my uneducated opinion. Do you see any damage?
By KategoricalKarnivore
xr280xr wrote:I had loads of those in my previous yard but never saw any on my flytraps. They really liked my tomatoes, especially the fruit and also pepper plants. Maybe those attracted them away from my VFTs. There are a lot of species in that family, I don't know if they're all herbivorous, but they'd definitely make me nervous on my VFTs. Assassin bugs and wheel bugs look similar too, but that does look like a leaf footed nymph in my uneducated opinion. Do you see any damage?
I see them pretty regularly on other plants too but that's the first time they were on the VFTs. I don't see any damage though. I tried to corral one into a trap to get eaten but it didn't work so I just squished them. I'll keep an eye out for any future damage and report back if they cause any.
By coffeenflowers
Is this a mite I should worry about? I saw it crawling around in the soil of my ceph. It is fairly fast moving. Seems larger than a springtail. But I haven't seen any other bugs in my ceph.

Crystal
grow list: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=32983
By Matt
coffeenflowers wrote:Is this a mite I should worry about? I saw it crawling around in the soil of my ceph. It is fairly fast moving. Seems larger than a springtail. But I haven't seen any other bugs in my ceph.

Crystal
grow list: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=32983
Doesn't look like anything to worry about. Basic rule of thumb with mites is that if you can see them with the unaided eye, they're likely no harm to the plant.
By inkaddict92
Can someone tell me what this is? I found it on one of my veitchii x platychila leaves

My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!