FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By Shadowtski
This all yellow Utricularia flower opened today. It came as a hitchhiker in a plug of U. sandersonii from Hollyhock. It's a terrestrial species and it is not U. bisquamata. I have U. bisquamata and that flower is different.

So take your best guess. Thank you. If I don't get an ID, it will be known as U. damifino. :)

Good growing,
Mike

Utric 001.JPG
Utric 001.JPG (16.51 KiB) Viewed 4137 times
Utric 002.JPG
Utric 002.JPG (16.65 KiB) Viewed 4137 times
Utric 003.JPG
Utric 003.JPG (20.12 KiB) Viewed 4137 times
By yimmy87
Cant help with id but its a pretty flower kinda looks like really buttery popcorn. Sorry couldn't resist that one lol

Sent from my LGL61AL using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
hollyhock wrote:I want a plug back of u.damifino when it gets big enough. :D
Your original plug is in a 2.5" square pot now. If the U. damifino (subulata?) spreads out and multiplies, I'll send you half the pot in Springtime. Sound OK?

I noticed something lately. My Utrics would send up a flower stalk, but the flower would never open. Instead, a month or so later it would turn brown, crack open and be full of microscopic seeds or dust. With the higher light levels it's getting from the LEDs it looks like the flowers will actually be opening. I never heard of that before. You learn something every day if you're not careful.

Good growing,
Mike
By w03
Yup, it's definitely U. subulata by my assessment. The perpetually closed flowers are cleistogamous flowers, which are basically just self-pollinating. It's part of why U. subulata spreads super fast and can become an annoying weed in all your pots.
w03 liked this
By Shadowtski
w03 wrote:Yup, it's definitely U. subulata by my assessment. The perpetually closed flowers are cleistogamous flowers, which are basically just self-pollinating. It's part of why U. subulata spreads super fast and can become an annoying weed in all your pots.

It's sure a pretty weed!

Good growing,
Mike
By yimmy87
Yes it is a pretty flower does it have any smell ? Noob question i know and i stand by my earlier statement still thing it looks loke a piece of yellow popcorn which is awsome to

Sent from my LGL61AL using Tapatalk
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!