FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By tannerm
ImageImageImage

Hoping these guys are springtails, thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
That sure looks like a springtail to me. You need more Drosera. I put some D. burmannii in my Nepenthes pot just for the purpose of eating Nepenthes root nibbling critters.

Springtails aren't going to damage your Nepenthes, I believe.

Good growing,
Mike
By DeadlyCarnivore
Springtails arent bad for your plants at all, just kind of annoying

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
By tannerm
Yeah, they really are annoying. I'm thinking about repotting anyway since it's getting algae

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By Leathal_Traps
Springtails are GOOOOOOOOD. They eat decaying material and they are free food for your plants.

What else could you ask for???? Don't understand why everyone finds them annoying or bad
Leathal_Traps liked this
By tannerm
Leathal_Traps wrote:Springtails are GOOOOOOOOD. They eat decaying material and they are free food for your plants.

What else could you ask for???? Don't understand why everyone finds them annoying or bad
They're obnoxious and I fertilize anyway so it's a moot point lol. Besides I'll switch to a media that doesn't promote algae growth. Or at least use live moss as a top dressing.

By Leathal_Traps
tannerm wrote:
Leathal_Traps wrote:Springtails are GOOOOOOOOD. They eat decaying material and they are free food for your plants.

They're obnoxious and I fertilize anyway so it's a moot point lol. Besides I'll switch to a media that doesn't promote algae growth. Or at least use live moss as a top dressing.

I fertilize as well, and my neps are very happy with springtails always falling i their pitchers. Also, I use a media that doesn't promote algal growth, but there is always stuff decaying so springtails help make sure everything is clean and tidy.

I also find it hilarious that when you blow on them they jump everywhere :lol:
By DeadlyCarnivore
tannerm wrote:

I use a mixture of Peat and fine "Soil cover" sand, and I havent gotten any algae so far.. I use it for all of my plants now, but I was mostly using it for my pygmy sundews.. I also try to put a top layer of live sphagnum moss.

By tannerm
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:
tannerm wrote:

I use a mixture of Peat and fine "Soil cover" sand, and I havent gotten any algae so far.. I use it for all of my plants now, but I was mostly using it for my pygmy sundews.. I also try to put a top layer of live sphagnum moss.

Yeah, I think I'll mix peat, orchid bark, perlite and chopped LFS and then use live sphagnum as a cover.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!