FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Dewy the Sundew
Hi guys. My burmanii leaves started dying back and now its sprouting a lot of smaller, dewless or almost no dew leaves.Is there something wrong with it? I know that Burmaniis need feeding so i fed it once a week when it was ok, but how do I feed them in this state?
Attachments:
3b1e11c5-b058-4872-ba3c-a0e78eee4733.jpg
3b1e11c5-b058-4872-ba3c-a0e78eee4733.jpg (165.98 KiB) Viewed 4099 times
By Shadowtski
He looks like he needs much more light. Burmannii Humpty Doo should be a Pinkish-Reddish color with adequate light. Less than adequate light gives a green plant with healthy leaves. Lowering the light further gives a plant without tentacles and with deformed leaves.

Your soil mix looks a little funny, like it might be breaking down but the lighting looks like the main culprit. Does your soil mix have a sour or bad smell? Have you changed anything in your growing setup recently?

That's my opinion, worth about 2 cents.

Good growing,
Mike

Here is a happy Drosera burmannii Humpty Doohttp://www.sundews-etc.com/2014/05/plan ... i.html?m=1
By nimbulan
Feeding regularly turns the plants green too. My plants fluctuate between pink and green depending on how long it's been since I fed them, even though they're the "giant red form."

In any case, I will agree with the others that this appearance is pretty typical for lack of light. Very small to no dew drops, old leaves turning pale brown on the edges - it's the same thing that's happening to a volunteer sundew I had pop up in one of the dimmest parts of my CP shelf.
By mo_carnivore
How long have you had it? If it has grown ok for you before, it might be because of some pest problem. Are any of your other plants in the same conditions contracting the same symptoms?

All said, though, it definitely seems light deprived.
By Dewy the Sundew
Now that i think of it. It might be pests. My sarracenias and my adelae have got some pest which i think are thrips but now they are alright because i treated them with neem oil. I'll spray a little neem oil on my burmanii, then if it is alright,I'll repot it and try to find a stronger light or maybe use sunlight. Thank you!

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk
By Dewy the Sundew
Also my burmanii was orange-red before and now i think because of pests,it is in this state. I'll try my best.

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
Drosera burmannii transplant pretty easily. They have long but fairly strong roots. You could dig him up. Then rinse him off completely with distilled water. Then examine him for pests with a magnifying glass. Then you can plant him in some fresh media.

This is a lot of work but it should make sure your plant is pest-free.

Good growing,
Mike
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!