FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

List the plants you grow

Moderator: Matt

By coffeenflowers
Here is my grow list. All grown in windowsills or outdoors (partial and full sun).

Dionaea:
B52 (CC)
Akai Ryu (CC)
DCXL (FTS)
Long Red Fingers (FTS) - RIP 5/52017
Low Giant (FTS)
Typical

Drosera:
Capensis
Hookeri (Alvin415) - RIP?
no-ID (possibly capenisis alba x aliciae?)
Venusta (Alvin415) - RIP

Pygmy:
Leucoblasta 'Brookton' (CC)
Paleacea (CC)
x Carburup (Alvin415)

Pinguicula:
Cyclosecta (Cascade Carnivores)
'El Mirador' (Cascade Carnivores)
Esseriana (Cascade Carnivores)
'Florian'
Gypsicola x Agnata?
Jaumavensis
Laueana (PP)
'Pirouette' (PP)
'Sethos'
'Weser' (PP)

Cephalotus:
'Norma' (CC)
Typical young plant (CC)
Typical mature size (Charles Brewer)
Typical -dark colored (mokigarden)
Typical (Alvin415) growing in turface

Nepenthes
glandulifera x petiolata (CC)
ventricosa (BACPS meeting)

Sarracenia:
Leucophylla HCW (FTS)
Psittacina (no tag, might be a hybrid)

Growing from seed:
D. Burmannii
P. Esseriana
Dionaea typical (FTS)

Non-CP: Orchids--Mostly japanese species and miniatures such as Dendrobium Monoliforme, a few varieties of Neofinetia, Angraecum Didieri, and Masdevallia.

Want List:

Maybe some sundews?
Other dionaea I don't have.
Cephalotus--typical or whatever. Just trying to get more experience with these.
Last edited by coffeenflowers on Tue May 09, 2017 4:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
coffeenflowers liked this
By coffeenflowers
My pings were growing in LFSM but I was concerned about overwatering and I repotted them into a mineral mix over the weekend. The mix is 50/50 turface to sand. The sand I bought is not entirely silica and has some other minerals in it which as aluminum oxide and ferric oxide. We'll see how it works out.

I started my 20 FTS seeds on 8/28 and it's been about 5.5 weeks. I count 17 seedlings so far. I'm ecstatic about my 85% germination rate! I have this in a mondi dome on top of a seedling heat mat to keep the temperature in the range of 70-85F.

The ceph is new. I'm still figuring out how to appropriately water it. I'm thinking that when the top soil feels dry, I will let it sit in water up to an inch of the top, then remove the water once saturated.

Crystal
By DeadlyCarnivore
coffeenflowers wrote:Got more pings (Florian and Jaumavensis) and cephs (two typicals) over the last month. I sowed 3 different varieties of genmae in the last month and maybe I just don't have luck with seeds/genmae. Nothing has come up.
How much himidity are the gemmae getting? They like a lot of humidity until the first couple of carnivorous leaves pop out.

Sent from my SM-G935V
By coffeenflowers
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:
coffeenflowers wrote:Got more pings (Florian and Jaumavensis) and cephs (two typicals) over the last month. I sowed 3 different varieties of genmae in the last month and maybe I just don't have luck with seeds/genmae. Nothing has come up.
How much himidity are the gemmae getting? They like a lot of humidity until the first couple of carnivorous leaves pop out.

Sent from my SM-G935V
My humidity stays between 80 and 100%. They are in one of those propagation domes and I make sure to spray with water every morning. I don't think it's a moisture issue. But it's unheated so the temp goes from 60s to low 70s. Like, I've said in other threads, I wonder if maybe the temperature is just too low.

Crystal
grow list: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=32983
By DeadlyCarnivore
coffeenflowers wrote:
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:

Sent from my SM-G935V
My humidity stays between 80 and 100%. They are in one of those propagation domes and I make sure to spray with water every morning. I don't think it's a moisture issue. But it's unheated so the temp goes from 60s to low 70s. Like, I've said in other threads, I wonder if maybe the temperature is just too low.

Crystal
Hmm, could be temperature, but I have them around that too, and they still sprout. Are they getting light 24/7? If not, try that, I read somewhere that they grow better when they get more light than the plant they came from. If that doesnt work, idk what will. Did you try soaking them in water, yet?

Sent from my SM-G935V
By Benurmanii
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:Hmm, could be temperature, but I have them around that too, and they still sprout. Are they getting light 24/7? If not, try that, I read somewhere that they grow better when they get more light than the plant they came from. If that doesnt work, idk what will. Did you try soaking them in water, yet?

Sent from my SM-G935V
It has been raining pretty hard where I keep my D. scorpidioides outdoors, and some of the gemmae that gets popped out lands in the pots of other plants. I've seen a few sprout, and the temps are usually low 50s MAX during the day, and they only get a few hours of direct sunlight on the rare day that it isn't cloudy. Humidity can be as low as 50% when not raining.

Coffeenflowers, if you want to try again, I'll send you some scorpidoides gemmae. I may as well harvest a bit and put it to good use, before the rain harvests all of it and washes it down under my deck.
By coffeenflowers
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:
coffeenflowers wrote:
DeadlyCarnivore wrote: How much himidity are the gemmae getting? They like a lot of humidity until the first couple of carnivorous leaves pop out.

Sent from my SM-G935V

Crystal
Hmm, could be temperature, but I have them around that too, and they still sprout. Are they getting light 24/7? If not, try that, I read somewhere that they grow better when they get more light than the plant they came from. If that doesnt work, idk what will. Did you try soaking them in water, yet?

Sent from my SM-G935V
I don't have an artificial lighting system yet so they're just on a windowsill. I'm considering getting a small led light setup though.

Crystal
By coffeenflowers
erikHIplants wrote:I have some crazy D. finlaysoniana seeds that germinated within a few days in a test tube if you wanna try some. They get rather tall however.
Thanks for the offer! I think for any further seedlings I might wait until the wether warns up more in spring. You're lucky with such warm temperatures in Hawaii. Seems perfect for germination.

Crystal
Last edited by coffeenflowers on Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
By DeadlyCarnivore
coffeenflowers wrote:
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:
coffeenflowers wrote: My humidity stays between 80 and 100%. They are in one of those propagation domes and I make sure to spray with water every morning. I don't think it's a moisture issue. But it's unheated so the temp goes from 60s to low 70s. Like, I've said in other threads, I wonder if maybe the temperature is just too low.

Crystal

Sent from my SM-G935V
I don't have an artificial lighting system yet so they're just on a windowsill. I'm considering getting a small led light setup though.

Crystal
Try cooler temps, if that still doesnt work, try the LED lighting setup, and leave them under the light until they sprout.

Sent from my SM-G935V
By coffeenflowers
Benurmanii wrote:Do you have a picture of how the gemmae looked upon arrival?
I never took a picture. I just remember that of the two sets of genmae (roseana and palacea sp trichocaulis), the trichocaulis was looked more dark green and the roseana was lighter green. The seller assured me that they were harvested fresh but I asked for a replacement for the tricochocaulis and the seller sent them to me the next week.

It's my first year attempting to grow from genmae so I wasn't exactly sure what to look for. Oh well. We'll see what happens.
By coffeenflowers
Updated. Went to Cal Carnivores for Black Friday sale.

Picked up a Ceph "norma," which Peter told me is not a cultivar--yet. They will also eventually debut a "daniela" cultivar, but seems they don't have any for sale yet.

Since I'm having so much trouble getting genmae to germinate, I also picked up a small pot each of D. leucoblasta "Brookton" and D. paleacea. They were only $8 (plus 15% discount), so basically the price of getting a pack of genmae. Plus, looks like I'll have some genmae to pick and try to get going on these soon.

Also updated with some random stuff Alvin415 gave me.
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!