FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By HeliamphoraWalnut
Just got the aldrovanda two weeks ago. Lookin good, as it grew like 4 new whorls! Idk what the utric is, maybe vulgaris, but there is Gibba. Can you find the aldrovanda in the first pic?
image.jpg
image.jpg (378.71 KiB) Viewed 4315 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (367.35 KiB) Viewed 4315 times
HeliamphoraWalnut liked this
By Dewy the Sundew
How did you get a aldrovanda?! :O That looks like a U.gibba to me because its clumped up. The others are probably vulgaris or aurea, both have pretty large traps but aurea is more of a native to asia.
By Dewy the Sundew
Wow :O I've been trying to find aldrovanda and vulgaris for a long time but no luck, because singapore can't ship in live plants, you need a permit or something. So i decided to find seeds. Do you know any website that sells aldrovanda and vulgaris seeds? Thanks! :D
By Benurmanii
Dewy the Sundew wrote:How did you get a aldrovanda?! :O That looks like a U.gibba to me because its clumped up. The others are probably vulgaris or aurea, both have pretty large traps but aurea is more of a native to asia.
It all looks like gibba to me, as all the stolons look like their branches end in about 2 or 3 ultimate tips.
By Benurmanii
I am still quite certain it is gibba, not macrorhiza nor vulgaris. Notice how the leaves on the stolons only end in about 2 or 4 ultimate tips (they can somtimes have up to 8). Vulgaris and macrorhiza have many more leaf tips than that. If you don't believe me, just look at Barry Rice's page and his photographs and comments on macrorhiza in his "Geography" tab.
By HeliamphoraWalnut
But the stolons are too thick.i have gibba in there and In a small cup on the windowsill, they don't look alike. Gibba has curvy stolons and they don't have those "bristles"
Hers a pic of the 100% gibba
Notice no "bristles"
image.jpg
image.jpg (160.95 KiB) Viewed 4108 times
By Benurmanii
Hmmm, well now that you point out how the stolons look, the stolons on the "macrorhiza" don't match the form that gibba usually has. It doesn't really look like macrorhiza to me still, but perhaps it is just young, or not growing properly enough to tell.
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!