FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By coffeenflowers
I just bought 3 pings over labor day.

About a week after receiving and planting them, I've noticed some of the older leaves close to the media are shriveling up. Since I'm new to pings, I don't know if this is typical acclimation or if it is due to watering or the LFSM. I held off watering because I was worried about rot so it's possible that I just waited a little too long.

Image example on Weser but also happening on the other two

The new leaves at the crown do appear to be growing in nicely on all.

Would it be a good idea to change the media? I know that pings grow in a variety of media but LFSM seems to not be recommended. Would the FTS Venus fly trap media work? I only ask because I have that on hand. Also considering APS.
By Grey
Hey there coffeenflowers!

The leaf death could well be due to the plants adjusting to their new environment, as you say. I'm not sure that the LFSM would cause damage so quickly, but it can most certainly contribute to rot issues later down the line so it may be well worth re-potting your plants just to be safe. The FTS Venus fly trap mix will work splendidly as long as you don't over-water. :-) You may even want to experiment by adding some crushed egg shells to it as most Mexican Pinguicula prefer a slightly alkaline soil mix to the acidity of peat, but this is by no means necessary.
By coffeenflowers
Bhart90 wrote:Coffee, keep me posted on your pirouette. Please, I have my reasons.... updates asap
Well, it hadn't been long but here's an update.

Pirouette is on the bottom left. Newer leaves that are growing in look good. Maybe looking slightly greenish since I only grow with windowsill light. Lower leaves are still looking dessicated.

Might plant into FTS VFT soil since Grey said that soil will work fine.
Perlite from Ebay

yeah it does look realllly sketchy on their websit[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!