FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By boarderlib
This is a great idea!

I think a credit system would be a good way to do anything at or above a level two seed.

Also, couldn't there be multiple managers. Each manager could handle their specialty. I vote Mike for Drosera;). One manager for Dionaea, etc. This could help relieve a lot of chaos for one person to deal with.

I would donate my time to help get this going, and maybe one day manage a category after I learn a lot more.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
boarderlib, boarderlib liked this
By Grey
I'd have to talk with my betrothed (ohh fancy word...) about it but I could possibly help out with one in the UK; this would partly depend upon where we end up living once we're married as we don't currently live together and space is at an absolute premium in my present accommodations. Any excuse for me to create another database! :-D
Grey liked this
By cjpflaumer
I am wiling to take part in this as well. Do I meet the criteria of master of all plants, no.
But I am good with Excel for an inventory spreadsheet. I have the refrigerator space and I am capable of sending and receiving mail. I would love to help with this however possible.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
cjpflaumer, cjpflaumer liked this
By Shadowtski
1 Novice gardener wrote:Hi guys!!
I live in India. I have a question, what is a SASE envelope??
An SASE is a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope. It's actually two envelopes, the outbound and the return envelope.

Here is a concrete example. Let's say that I am offering free seeds for an SASE and you want some. Take an envelope, put a stamp on it and address it to yourself at your home address. Fold it in thirds and put it in a second envelope. Put a stamp on this second envelope and address this second envelope to me. Seal it and mail it. It arrives at my house and I open it and put the seeds in your return envelope. I mail this return envelope to you and you get your desired seeds a few days, a few weeks later.

This encourages me to share seeds because it doesn't cost me anything to do it. It encourages you to do it this way because two envelopes and two stamps are still usually cheaper than buying seeds from a commercial source.

Doing this domestically is no problem at all. Doing it internationally is complicated by two factors. First, you have to make sure it is legal for you to receive seeds from me in my country. Second, you have to put a stamp on the interior return envelope that the post office in my country will accept. This can be done with a "Global Forever Stamp" or an IRC (International Reply Coupon). Both of these should be available at any post office in the world.

This is why you often see seed giveaways limited to one country only. Most people don't want to go through the trouble of finding an IRC or Global Forever Stamp. If I am giving away seed, I want to keep things simple. Pop open the envelope, put seeds in the return envelope and mail it back.

I'm sorry if I gave you too much information, but that's what an SASE is and how it's used and how it gets complicated when you cross borders. Fair enough sir?

I usually allow international entrants in my giveaways but I insist they verify the legality and they enclose an IRC or Global Forever Stamp.

Good growing,
Mike
By Bhart90
I'm down, in fact before I even clicked o the normal seed bank tab, I assumed this is what it was.

Considering I've graduated capensis 101. I have many extra seeds.
By dr_donut
I think that this is a great idea but I feel like some people would join just to get free seeds (even if it's something like capensis) and then leave.
By Shadowtski
dr_donut wrote:I think that this is a great idea but I feel like some people would join just to get free seeds (even if it's something like capensis) and then leave.
This isn't something external you would join. This is a benefit of being a member here. If someone registers at FlyTrapCare forum just to get free capensis, that's fine. We have plenty to share.

They wouldn't be eligible for level 2 or higher seeds until they've been here a while and contributed to the community by being an active participating member. At least that's my idea for handling that eventuality.

But this is all just speculative talk until we see a comment from Matt or hear from him. This is his venue.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By yimmy87
Man im so happy you smart people have got this under control. This is something that will help the fourm and its members.

Sent from my LGL61AL using Tapatalk
By cjpflaumer
Shadowtski wrote:I heard from Matt today, he likes the idea of a Free Seedbank. So in the near future this idea could become a reality.

Stay tuned for more info.

Good growing,
Mike
Patiently waiting to hear.. :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By Mufasa
sort of a good idea, but
a: grading is overcomplicating it, it should be the buyers responsibility to know about the plant
b: it's more efficient for members to send the seeds to each other than to have members send into a central source, then have the central source send it out
c: postage costs usually are $3 each way international, so this method is $6 per seed packet in postage
d: i personally prefer to see a "token fee" to be donated to either the running of the seedback, or any organisation handling it, or some other cause (maybe the rehder park?)
e: probably most important.... most successful seed banks have some sort of filter on them, i think terraforums seedbank has a yearly membership fee, my societies seedbank has a scheme where, people who are members of the society (and paying members) pay $1 per packet of seedss, which goes to the society, and non members pay $3/pack... whats to stop some anonymous person joining the forums, taking all the free seeds, and puttin em on ebay

edit: looking through the comments a bit..

level 1/ level 2 seeds... again, over complicating it i think, if you're running a seed bank, have one clear criteria everyone must pass, then give total access to the bank... that is sort of the spirit and whole idea of a free seed bank. also having someone judging if someone is an experienced grower on behalf of the people who donated the seeds seems a bit wrong to me
Mufasa liked this
By yimmy87
So awsome to hear that glad the experts could make it happen

Sent from my LGL61AL using Tapatalk

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!