FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By PetroleumJunkie412
Found these for sale at a flower shop. They were in 100+ F degree water in a rusted galvanized steel tub. I did the best I could when I cleaned and repotted them. They were labeled as "sarracenias - cobra plant." pretty sure they're not a cobra lilliy cluster.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
DSC_0659.JPG
DSC_0659.JPG (773.87 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
By cjpflaumer
Well, it wont be easy to identify them in this condition... But, if you acclimate them outdoors and leave them sitting in some water they should perk up and the new growth will make identification a lot easier.
By hollyhock
There's a cobra nest Sarracenia that was specifically bred for nursery sales. The plant doesn't require any dormancy...
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Sp ... 24_27.html
Attachments:
Cobra-Nest.jpg
Cobra-Nest.jpg (123.5 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
By cjpflaumer
I havent seen the one hollyhock linked but thats a pretty viable option.
I have also seen this before at Home Depots...
ix5ult.jpg
ix5ult.jpg (135.74 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
By Smooter80
In the floral trade, Sarrs are often called Cobra Lilies. It's a more marketable name.
Like CJ said, get em' healthy and an ID will likely be possible.
By nimbulan
It's certainly difficult to identify the plants in that condition. They must've been kept on a dark shelf for a long period of time before you bought them.

Based on what I can see now though, the left plant is likely some sort of S. rubra hybrid, and the right plant is likely something like S. 'Scarlet Belle'. Keep us updated when the plants produce some healthier-looking pitchers.
By PetroleumJunkie412
Thanks all... I'm really no expert at this identification thing.

The store that they came from had them in that galvanized steel tub in an outside shopping area that was... sweltering to say the least. It seems like these guys were literally being cooked alive in their container.

There was another variety mixed in with them; pitchers were very, very thin and completely green; maybe 5-6" tall.

I included another photo that's more of a close up of the lids... might help a bit.

The reason I'm looking for identification is to figure out what to do with them over the winter. I planned on storing them with the VFTs, etc, but don't want to find out that they freeze to death in a Pittsburgh winter, etc. the hard way. They've had it rough enough already. :P

And yes, that is a Multifida Extrema in bloom behind the lid... Damn plant is taking over everything.
DSC_0660.JPG
DSC_0660.JPG (690.97 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
By boarderlib
Smooter80 wrote:In the floral trade, Sarrs are often called Cobra Lilies. It's a more marketable name.
Like CJ said, get em' healthy and an ID will likely be possible.
Close enough, I mean they are in the same family. Smh.

Thank you for saving these poor guys from the death box!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By nimbulan
PetroleumJunkie412 wrote:The reason I'm looking for identification is to figure out what to do with them over the winter. I planned on storing them with the VFTs, etc, but don't want to find out that they freeze to death in a Pittsburgh winter, etc. the hard way. They've had it rough enough already. :P
Winter care doesn't really vary between Sarracenia species, though the northern purps can take a harsher winter. Keep them with the VFTs and they should be fine.
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!