FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Gry
I have been searching for seeds from this plant for a long time. Does anyone know where I can find seeds of this specific orchid? Carnivore or not, I want to have a look at it myself.
By Benurmanii
I would always challenge the possibility of an orchid being carnivorous. Why bother making a flower stalk just to end up eating the pollinators? It is a good looking orchid either way, but I don't have the tastes to really get excited about one orchid over another.

Of course, there is the case of Stylidium debile, but orchids are not so prolific, and as far as I know, need cross polination, so it would not be in favor of the orchid to have carnivorous flowers.
By SFLguy
To grow an orchid from seed, you'd need to use tc, if not you'd need the specific fungus it requires to germinate which changes from species to species. Although orchids are not carnivorous they are starting to be considered predatory regardless. This is because to germinate, it needs to consume a fungus (and continues to do so after germination) this fungus doesn't gain anything from the interaction.
Many orchids are self compatible but even if each orchid can produce 100k to 1 million seeds per seed pod, only about 1 in 3 mil will land on the fungus and germinate
SFLguy liked this
By Nauz
SFLguy wrote:To grow an orchid from seed, you'd need to use tc, if not you'd need the specific fungus it requires to germinate which changes from species to species. Although orchids are not carnivorous they are starting to be considered predatory regardless. This is because to germinate, it needs to consume a fungus (and continues to do so after germination) this fungus doesn't gain anything from the interaction.
Many orchids are self compatible but even if each orchid can produce 100k to 1 million seeds per seed pod, only about 1 in 3 mil will land on the fungus and germinate
Wow, did not know that.
By xr280xr
w03 wrote:AFAIK this species has only been collected once ever and is most definitely not in cultivation...
Looks like it is somewhere. Found this on pinterest:
...unless that's the one collected plant.
By evenwind
I think that pic may have been mis-labeled. That looks like some kind of Coryanthes (Bucket Orchid). The only image I could find shows it as a pseudobulb-less miniature...
Attachments:
Aracamunia liesneri Type a..jpg
Aracamunia liesneri Type a..jpg (46.76 KiB) Viewed 10481 times
evenwind liked this
By Dewy the Sundew
Benurmanii wrote:I would always challenge the possibility of an orchid being carnivorous. Why bother making a flower stalk just to end up eating the pollinators? It is a good looking orchid either way, but I don't have the tastes to really get excited about one orchid over another.

Of course, there is the case of Stylidium debile, but orchids are not so prolific, and as far as I know, need cross polination, so it would not be in favor of the orchid to have carnivorous flowers.
I have a stylidium debile, what about it? The supplier told me it isn't carnivorous, but the small tentacles with dew behind the flowers have chemicals in it to digest small bugs which have been caught just like a sundew. Still not sure if this is to prevent pests or its just straight up carnivory.

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk
By Benurmanii
Dewy the Sundew wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:I would always challenge the possibility of an orchid being carnivorous. Why bother making a flower stalk just to end up eating the pollinators? It is a good looking orchid either way, but I don't have the tastes to really get excited about one orchid over another.

I have a stylidium debile, what about it? The supplier told me it isn't carnivorous, but the small tentacles with dew behind the flowers have chemicals in it to digest small bugs which have been caught just like a sundew. Still not sure if this is to prevent pests or its just straight up carnivory.

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk
Well, generally, for something to be carnivorous it needs to meet three criteria: speciallized structures for trapping, means of digestion, and nutrient pathways (absorbtion). Stylidium matches the first two, but I have yet to read or hear anything about their means of absorbing nutrients.
By Cephalotus9
Every carnivorous plant species I can think of produces flowers in addition to the various structures used to capture prey. The protuberances on A. liesneri (main drawing and figure C on the illustration) are what make the plant interesting, as some have speculated that they might be used to trap small insects (similar to the way a Drosera species would). Whether or not this is true remains to be determined. Like many members of Cranichideae, A. liesneri produces small (mostly white, if I remember correctly) flowers that aren't showy like most cultivated orchid species (figure D). I too would love to try my hand at growing this species, but it's true that it has only been collected once. Worse yet, there are no photos of it on the internet (trust me, I've been thorough).
By jeff
Bonjour

for this orchid see here :http://www.epidendra.org/taxones/Aracam ... 20PROT.pdf.

may be to learn more ask the missouri garden

Well, generally, for something to be carnivorous it needs to meet three criteria: speciallized structures for trapping, means of digestion, and nutrient pathways (absorbtion). Stylidium matches the first two, but I have yet to read or hear anything about their means of absorbing nutrients.

BENURMANII see the DARNOWSKI book on the triggerplants you have the answer , they have digestive enzyme ,but may be not on all the genus ;) .

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!